Buying a cat tree.

berfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Considering how large most trees are, I am sure that the ones you see assembled were delivered to that store in nice small little boxes.

Personally, I've been very happy with my two armarkat trees. If concerned about loosening, you can always use a drop of blue locktite available at home depot.

The steps are left off, as they are unnecessary unless you have a geriatric cat, and the stock dangler toys are choking hazards since they are so easy to chew off, but its simple to replace those. Amazon.com had it cheapest due to free 2-day shipping when I was shopping.
I just got this one from PetCo, and my cats LOVE it. Replaced the toys immediately, as they chewed through the cheap elastic. Left the ramps on for the ferret

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

I have a "Molly and Friends" cat tree...got it from Amazon.com (just do a search or look up that brand under pet products). I paid apx. $275 for it when I got it (about 3 years ago)..the model I got (the 4 level with 2 beds and 2 scoops) is now a little over $300.

All that said, this tree is made of solid wood and is very well constructed...It comes assembled and with Amazon, I got free shipping! It came in a box the size of a fridge. :p The tree has no staples and no exposed glue or thread...and even I can stand on one of the scoops without it warping, breaking, or falling over (I weigh about 110). My cats can run at full tilt and jump to the top level and it won't budge. It weighs about 60lbs, I'd guess and has a wide base (about 2.5 x 2.5 feet). The carpet and sisal rope are still in good condition, even after being used by my 3 cats.

I would not buy a different brand of tree unless I could see it and test it first...all the others I've seen were far more wobbly and just as expensive (i.e. the ones at petsmart, etc.). Before this one I had a crappy one off of ebay that I had to assemble myself and it had cheap carpet and was very wobbly.

Hope this helps!
Artgecko
Thanks for posting your review, I'd never heard of Molly and Friends and I'm looking for a cat tree for my babies.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty Scratch Post sells alot of the trees all you guys posted and if you compare prices they are quite abit cheaper.

Mind you, I don't know if it';s cheaper with shipping, since I've only looked into shipping to Canada but the actual price is cheaper.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Considering how large most trees are, I am sure that the ones you see assembled were delivered to that store in nice small little boxes.

Personally, I've been very happy with my two armarkat trees. If concerned about loosening, you can always use a drop of blue locktite available at home depot.

The steps are left off, as they are unnecessary unless you have a geriatric cat, and the stock dangler toys are choking hazards since they are so easy to chew off, but its simple to replace those. Amazon.com had it cheapest due to free 2-day shipping when I was shopping.
I also got this one at the beginning of the year at PETCO. I also left the ramps off. I paid $130 for it and the cats love it. I was able to put it together and I am not good at that sort of thing.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My hubby made an awesome one for Bijou and Mika which I posted pictures of a couple years ago when he made it. It looks as good today as when he made it but we spent over $300 just on materials alone and it's very well made. It would have to be for our big boy at 20+ pounds.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had my two Armarkat trees for going on five years now, and I love them. They're sturdy enough to withstand getting beat on by six cats (who will chase each other up and down the trees). Also, when a piece gets worn out, you can order a replacement piece for a very reasonable cost.

The second tree counting from the left and the last tree on the right are Armarkats. The leg on the first tree is beginning to unravel in this pic; I think it cost me about $20 to replace it.

AC