Butterscotch behaviour questions

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we had an accidental meeting between Tangerine, Mango (my two 9 month old siblings) and Butterscotch (my new 2 year old cat). We had done a meet and greet with the three of them when the adoption lady came over with her on Thursday for a couple of hours so this wasn't the first time seeing each other. I realized I had refilled her litter box way to full when she peed in it, but pooped over the side and onto the litter mat (she has used it 4 or 5 times since Thursday without issues). No big deal since I was watching to make sure she wasn't having diarrhea from the wet food I started giving her. After I cleaned up, I was taking the bag down stairs with the extra litter I had removed, and must not have gotten my bedroom door closed. When I came upstairs, Butterscotch was out of my bedroom and in the loft area, but ran back into my room just inside the door frame and not under my bed like she was scared. So as I was coming in she decided to venture out again which was fine since Tangerine had Mango had already been put in their night time pen. Anyways she came out again just far enough to where she could see the boys and looked and looked and then she let out a little hiss and came back into my bedroom (no hunched back or folded back ears). She really didn't seem scared of them and I think the only reason she ran back into my bed room when I originally came upstairs is because I spooked her and she wasn't expecting me.

I did give her some treats for being so brave and she happily ate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've noticed when I'm down on the floor with Butterscotch she will come up to me and butt per head into my head. My other two kittens who are 9 months never did this when I played with them on the floor, but Butterscotch does that all the time. Am I doing something she doesn't like me to do and that's her way of saying stop.

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So I've noticed when I'm down on the floor with Butterscotch she will come up to me and butt per head into my head. My other two kittens who are 9 months never did this when I played with them on the floor, but Butterscotch does that all the time. Am I doing something she doesn't like me to do and that's her way of saying stop.
That means she loves you and she wants your attention!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Head bumps are a cats way of saying I love you.  It's good, it means she knows you're her friend and she wants to show some affection to you so you'll give her some in return.

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Head bumps are a cats way of saying I love you.  It's good, it means she knows you're her friend and she wants to show some affection to you so you'll give her some in return.

Great thanks. I was thinking it was something good she was trying to tell me since she would purr when she did it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I went to the shelter to look at the cats, Ruby started purring and head bumping me as soon as I opened her cage door.  I think that was when I knew she was the cat I'd be adopting. 

Last edited:

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

When I went to the shelter to look at the cats, Ruby started purring and head bumping me as soon as I opened her cage door.  I think that was when I knew she was the cat I'd be adopting. 

When the adoption person came over on Thursday for me to meet the cat and see if she was the right fit for me and vice versa, I think the adoption person and myself both knew that Butterscotch had found her home when she came over to me right away while I was sitting on the floor, jumped in my lap, purred a bit and fell a sleep.

Last edited:

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Awwww, lucky Butterscotch. 

I actually feel like the lucky one. While I have two 9 month old male kittens (don't worry everyone has been fixed), their very high energy play, play play, while Butterscotch is more low keyed, calm, relaxing and would rather cuddle and be petted then play. When I'm around her, she makes me feel so relaxed.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sound like a pretty positive first meeting, even if it was accidental )! :clap: It definitely bodes well for the future :nod:

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she's a little perturbed with me this morning. I believe during the night I accidentally knocked her out of bed. Usually she sleeps by the head of the bed, but last night she slept farther down and when I rolled over she rolled off. I checked her and she's fine (wanted to make sure her spaying area was ok) and I even gave her some treats to make up for it. Usually when I get on the floor she comes out and and does her cute flop on her back and side so daddy can rub her tummy. Nope none of that.

She still seems to like staying under the bed when she's either not eating, using the litter box, climbing on my window sills or laying with me.

Last edited:

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I've only had her at my house since last Thursday and she does comes out to eat, drink, use the litter box, climb on the window sill and in the evenings/bed time she will come curl up in my bed. However when she's not doing that she seems to like going under my bed and where I assume she naps.

I'm sure it's just me over reacting, but I wanted to double check with you guys.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I know I've only had her at my house since last Thursday and she does comes out to eat, drink, use the litter box, climb on the window sill and in the evenings/bed time she will come curl up in my bed. However when she's not doing that she seems to like going under my bed and where I assume she naps.

I'm sure it's just me over reacting, but I wanted to double check with you guys.
It's normal. All of my cats have places that they like to hide in, nap in etc. My Sophie has a thing for anything cave like. Boxes, closets, under beds, you name it. Lilith just likes to be up off the ground. The cat tree, chairs, windowsills, etc. Henry likes cubbies like Sophie does but isn't really into boxes. He likes his cubby in his room which is basically a large plastic storage tote turned on it's side with a blanket in it to make it comfy. He also likes the cubbies in the cat trees. She's a normal kitty (and very cute, too. 
)

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's only been home a short time right?  Not unusual.  Heck, one of mine has been home a year and a half, and yesterday when I messed up and didn't close the bedroom door while they were having breakfast, she got in under the bed to sleep for the day.  It's basically a treat for her, because they don't get to spend all day in that room, even when we are home.  She stayed there all afternoon long, which is actually common when we are home (typically it is under the couch rather than under the bed).  I've thought of trying to get her interested in a covered bed/condo/similar but I'm really unsure she would use such a thing.  But it's clear that for her long afternoon sleep she often prefers to be hidden away a bit, even after being pretty comfortable in the house for a long period of time.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I would not worry too much about this as long as you are sure her incision is fine. If there is a connection between falling off the bed and changing her usual behavior, she will be back to normal soon, especially after spending another night where she doesn't fall off the bed. Cats don't hold grudges. There might not be any connection though. Cats love to sleep under the bed under normal circumstances. My Paul has always made that his special place and recently Chula has been spending more time there as well, even though nothing has changed in her routine.

It's pretty clear that Butterscotch has lucked into a great home and that bonding is going well.

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not worry too much about this as long as you are sure her incision is fine. If there is a connection between falling off the bed and changing her usual behavior, she will be back to normal soon, especially after spending another night where she doesn't fall off the bed. Cats don't hold grudges. There might not be any connection though. Cats love to sleep under the bed under normal circumstances. My Paul has always made that his special place and recently Chula has been spending more time there as well, even though nothing has changed in her routine.

It's pretty clear that Butterscotch has lucked into a great home and that bonding is going well.
Thanks. She's been out and about today and we did some floor time earlier this evening and once she did this, I gave Butterscotch her night time portion of her wet food.