Butters Getting Attacked

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, Butters has been with us for several weeks, but he hasn't met the new cats due to having some sort of illness, that we now think to be FHV.

I decided to let him downstairs to see the new cats under our supervision. For the first hour, this was fine, but now, Domino (who is twice his size) is full out attacking him. Cornering him, chasing him under beds and chairs, and the screaming is out of control.

Rosalita doesn't seem to care one way or the other. I don't understand, because Rosalita and Domino are the best of friends. We adopted her at the same time. Domino didn't act this way.

Is there anything I can do (they are separated now again, because I don't want to further stress Butters), or is this just how my house is going to be for the rest of their lives? I did a lot of research when I adopted these two -- and I thought males got along better than two females, so that's why I adopted a male and a female.

I'm just really upset, because I don't need this on top of the FHV TOO. If I can't have a peaceful house, I'm not sure what to do, and I don't feel right just having him trapped in our bedroom for the rest of his life.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Staceyloobug

So, Butters has been with us for several weeks, but he hasn't met the new cats due to having some sort of illness, that we now think to be FHV.

I decided to let him downstairs to see the new cats under our supervision. For the first hour, this was fine, but now, Domino (who is twice his size) is full out attacking him. Cornering him, chasing him under beds and chairs, and the screaming is out of control.

Rosalita doesn't seem to care one way or the other. I don't understand, because Rosalita and Domino are the best of friends. We adopted her at the same time. Domino didn't act this way.

Is there anything I can do (they are separated now again, because I don't want to further stress Butters), or is this just how my house is going to be for the rest of their lives? I did a lot of research when I adopted these two -- and I thought males got along better than two females, so that's why I adopted a male and a female.

I'm just really upset, because I don't need this on top of the FHV TOO. If I can't have a peaceful house, I'm not sure what to do, and I don't feel right just having him trapped in our bedroom for the rest of his life.
This is normal - especially while he is sick.... Cats will pick up when other cats are ill, and attack them.
Furthermore, cats need a slow introduction.
IMO it is NOT the time to introduce Butters right now. Too much stress for him... Let him get over his herpes flare up, then you do the introduction, otherwise you will just make his flare worst and further compromise his immune system.
When the time comes, we will help you with the introduction...

Here is something to read about proper introduction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

This is normal - especially while he is sick.... Cats will pick up when other cats are ill, and attack them.
Furthermore, cats need a slow introduction.
IMO it is NOT the time to introduce Butters right now. Too much stress for him... Let him get over his herpes flare up, then you do the introduction, otherwise you will just make his flare worst and further compromise his immune system.
When the time comes, we will help you with the introduction...

Here is something to read about proper introduction
Thanks Carolina, I think you're absolutely right. I screwed the pooch on this one. He hasn't sneezed all morning, and he seemed to be feeling pretty good, so I thought, "Hey, why not, we're both home," but yeah. Not so much. So we're back to being separated, and maybe we'll try again next weekend, but I think we need a long break for each other.

I read that article, and that thing about the blanket is a great idea! We did do that with Rosalita (a small towel), but I completely skipped that part for Butters. I'm going to take down the blanket from our bed right now that he's been sleeping on, and let Domino smell it for a few days, then vice versa.

Poor Butters doesn't seem to be too traumatized at all, he's playing and sitting on my lap. But I'm sure he's afraid.

There was no bloodshed, but a lot of screaming. I guess I just flashed-forward and was concerned that it would always be this way. But for Butters' sake, I think I need to get him a little bigger and healthier so he has a "fighting" chance to stand up for himself.

Frank (my partner) seems to think the problem was when Rosalita started to hiss a little bit -- that's when Domino really went after Butters. Like he was protecting Rosalita. Even though Butters wasn't doing a thing. *sigh* Cat fights always sound MUCH worse than they are.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Staceyloobug

Thanks Carolina, I think you're absolutely right. I screwed the pooch on this one. He hasn't sneezed all morning, and he seemed to be feeling pretty good, so I thought, "Hey, why not, we're both home," but yeah. Not so much. So we're back to being separated, and maybe we'll try again next weekend, but I think we need a long break for each other.

I read that article, and that thing about the blanket is a great idea! We did do that with Rosalita (a small towel), but I completely skipped that part for Butters. I'm going to take down the blanket from our bed right now that he's been sleeping on, and let Domino smell it for a few days, then vice versa.

Poor Butters doesn't seem to be too traumatized at all, he's playing and sitting on my lap. But I'm sure he's afraid.

There was no bloodshed, but a lot of screaming. I guess I just flashed-forward and was concerned that it would always be this way. But for Butters' sake, I think I need to get him a little bigger and healthier so he has a "fighting" chance to stand up for himself.

Frank (my partner) seems to think the problem was when Rosalita started to hiss a little bit -- that's when Domino really went after Butters. Like he was protecting Rosalita. Even though Butters wasn't doing a thing. *sigh* Cat fights always sound MUCH worse than they are.
This is totally normal...
Just NEEDS to be done properly, otherwise you do run the risk of them not having a good relationship for life...
So... for now just get him healthy... and while you are doing that, take advantage of that time to do the slow introduction, with the scent exchange, brief views, playing under the door, etc... So, by the time he is healthy and over the flare, he is ready for the formal introduction....
Your home will be fine...

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that Butters is feeling better already!

I agree with Carolina, sounds like you'll need a slow introduction with these boys. You never know, some cats get along great the first time they meet while others have to be introduced very slowly. If you take your time and do it properly, it'll be a lot easier on everyone.

Just to give you an idea, my boy Walter was the first cat I brought home. He had the place to himself and had come from a home where he was the only cat. When i adopted Helen, she was rescued from a traveling circus sideshow, and very used to being around other cats. The introduction was incredibly easy...Helen didn't care about Walter at all, and Walter just ran off and pouted in the corner because he now had to share his home. After a couple of weeks, they were playing like old pals!

...enter Nelson and Mandy...
this was A LOT more difficult. Mandy was easy and integrated with my other 2 cats right away. Nelson, however, had been a stud cat for breeding, had just been neutered at 3 years old, and was very territorial. Even after a slow introduction, I couldn't leave him alone with Walter (I couldn't even leave the room) or he would attack him. It took more than 3 months of very persistent training, separating them when I wasn't home, supervised play times when I was home. There was a point when I thought they would never get along. I was afraid I'd have to keep them apart forever or find a new home for one of them. Persistence paid off, and now the boys are snuggling together on the couch as I type this!

The key is to go slow. Follow the steps, and as you're making progress with your introductions if a problem arises, just go back a step. We'll be here to help!

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much both of you! I guess I got cocky when Domino took to Rosalita so quickly. It's like they were born together. I thought that spoke to Domino's nature, that he would just take to any cat that I brought down. Man, I was wrong.

What's the difference? Just that Butters is male, or that he's sick? He sure doesn't look sick anymore, and he's only sneezed a few times today (but when he's smelling or playing, he breathes pretty heavily through his nose -- I'm not sure if that's him still being a bit stuffy or if that's just how he smells, because before, he DEFINITELY sounded stuffy...this is a little different), but I'm sure cats can also pick up on that better than we can.

When I went to take Butters down to the bathroom with me while I took a bath for his nose, I was intercepted by both cats, and I held onto Butters while there was some more smelling...no hissing or growling...just some serious smelling.

Frank swears what exacerbated the situation was Domino feeling the need to protect Rosalita when she got startled. They were pretty good (they were following him around, and Domino was a bit fluffed out, but there was no fighting for the first half hour or so--just lots of exploring...Butters was growling a little bit while he was carrying around his mouse--like he didn't want anyone to take it from him, but it wasn't really directed at anyone in particular), and then Butters leaped out from under the desk (he's still got a lot more kitten in him than the other two, so there's a lot of that leaping), and Domino and Rosalita both took off after him and there was some screaming in the bathroom...and we thought "ok, Butters startled them and they thought it was playtime," but then 5 minutes later, Rosalita jumps on the desk where Butters is (she must not have known that), got scared, hissed, and Domino's on the desk, I'm grabbing for him, Butters runs under the bed, Domino knocks 90% of everything off of the desk and flies under the bed. *shivers* Cat fights are the worst sound in the world.

Anyhow, the "protecting"...I thought this was more of a dog behavior, though. It's adorable to think that that might be it, but is it realistic?

I'm sorry--I'm babbling. I'm really nervous about this. I do think until Butters gets some size on him, we'll separate them for the hour and a half no one is here, and again at night. It would just make me feel better -- even if that's several months of separating. I'm fiercely protective of him because he had such a rough start to life.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are experiencing perfectly normal behavior. It's possible it's because he's another male and because he's been sick. Also, they are not accustomed to him or his smell yet. I don't think him being sick is as much an issue as the fact that there's a new intruder in the house and the pecking order has to be established.

Read the introductions thread at the top of the forum for some really good advice.

Have you gotten your diffusers yet? If so, plug 'em in and start sending those calming pheromones throughout the house.

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

You are experiencing perfectly normal behavior. It's possible it's because he's another male and because he's been sick. Also, they are not accustomed to him or his smell yet. I don't think him being sick is as much an issue as the fact that there's a new intruder in the house and the pecking order has to be established.

Read the introductions thread at the top of the forum for some really good advice.

Have you gotten your diffusers yet? If so, plug 'em in and start sending those calming pheromones throughout the house.
The diffusers haven't come yet -- I expect them to be here tomorrow, but I'm also going to pick up a few more for downstairs...just to spread the good vibes!