Butterflies!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last few days my field has been full of butterflies munching their way through the windfall pears. Today I found the time to go out there with a camera and managed some pix, though they are not perfect. It took ages of sitting and standing still before I could get close enough shots. There are Red Admirals and Peacocks, literally hundreds.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How beautiful that must be! I'm so glad we live somewhere I can see a butterfly every now and then, I grew up in the city & a single monarch in an entire summer was really exciting.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, how lovely! Do they migrate to warmer climates and are just feeding and resting up for the trip?

I captured a monarch on my hydrangea tree a couple weeks ago. Every year our head office does a calendar and includes photos taken by employees so I submitted this - I hope they use it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a lovely picture, Linda. Much better than mine. I am not sure about the Admirals but he Peacocks hibernate here - one winter I went into the space under my haybarn and htere were thousands hanging from the floor beams. I was aware of the slight movement of their wings before I saw them.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

That's a lovely picture, Linda. Much better than mine. I am not sure about the Admirals but he Peacocks hibernate here - one winter I went into the space under my haybarn and htere were thousands hanging from the floor beams. I was aware of the slight movement of their wings before I saw them.
Thank you Jenny. I have to admit though that it is not a credit to my photography skills. Having a hubby that works for Panasonic, I generally get an upgraded camera every year from the employee sale. I need an idiot-proof camera so John just gets me a little Lumix digital - whatever the most recent one is - so I can point and shoot!

I love your pictures anyway - I can easily see the beautiful markings on the butterflies.

BTW - isn't it about time for some updated pictures of Maisie and her babies? (Well, they aren't exactly babies anymore
).

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful....

the only time I saw butterflies other than Monarchs was at the zoo.

Butterflies are so graceful and beautiful... I wish we had more around here.

Thx for sharing the pics.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Thank you Jenny. I have to admit though that it is not a credit to my photography skills. Having a hubby that works for Panasonic, I generally get an upgraded camera every year from the employee sale. I need an idiot-proof camera so John just gets me a little Lumix digital - whatever the most recent one is - so I can point and shoot!

I love your pictures anyway - I can easily see the beautiful markings on the butterflies.

BTW - isn't it about time for some updated pictures of Maisie and her babies? (Well, they aren't exactly babies anymore
).
To the pics of the ponies.

Mom loved butterflies and always tried to plant flowers that would attract them.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those Peacock butterflies look beautiful with those purple patches! I hadn't heard of them before. That's quite the image you describe of thousands of them hanging from your old barn beams!
Linda- that's a lovely photo and I hope they use it in the calendar!
We get quite a few Monarchs here, they're the most noticable. I like moths too, I think they can be quite pretty.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those are really pretty Jenny!
We have lots of Red Admirals around here, but I've never seen a Peacock! They're beautiful!