Butterflies By Request

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These pictures are gorgeous. I adore butterflies
  We took DD to the Butterfly Pavilion near Denver when she was small and she had a blast. The butterflies landed on her hands, on top of her head and she loved every second of it. You'd be in heaven there

http://www.butterflies.org/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Kat0121   I love butterfly pavilions! The botanical garden where I take many photos has a butterfly house, and it is amazing. :)

Here's one of the Atlas moth, this thing was so huge it looks like a stuffed toy rather than a moth. Its body was about the size of my hand - just its body!! The wings were enormous!!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is amazing to me to see how nature distributes the spots and colors on these beautiful creatures.  I am getting more interested in butterflies the more I see these beautiful pictures.  Your photography is amazing!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Losna  In that last photo, the Atlas Moth, it's so big and you can see so much detail it almost looks like it's got a head / face like a little mouse.  I wonder what it looks like from a different angle.  You have a real gift not only for capturing the butterflies but composing your photographs. 

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Butterfly festival again! So I have some more piccies! I'll start with what I like to call my action reel. Hahahaa. This is what happens when butterflies play the part of hotshot pilots!

VICTORY!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Those are amazing photos  (as always). 
    It's amazing how you captured one butterfly being scared off by another!

The detail you manage to get is incredible - I never imagined a butterfly would have a speckled body like it has on its wings. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
 I don't remember ever seeing a picture as clear as that of a butterfly's eyes - I never realized they could vary so much in appearance either.  I imagined they would be like insect eyes you see pictures of, but those ones you've posted here are unbelievable.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
@Losna   I cannot believe the detail in those eyes!!  It's like they are wearing "coloured contact lenses", to match the colour patterns on their bodies. 
Truly stunning.  Like MServant, I just thought they had regular insect eyes, or black eyes.

Your photos reveal so much.
  Really fascinating.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just amazing how Nature puts in these patterns, that ward off other animals/insects from attacking them.  That first photo, with those brown, orange, black hues and blue looking type "back-eyes" are seriously impressive.

But that "pretty green guy", that you said, ...would totally terrify me, if he landed anywhere near me.  He looks like a pretty 'hang-glider' or kite, and he does have the look of "soft petal flowers"...with some amazing 'feather-like' eye shades, or fancy atennae...But anything that pretty has to have some 'poison' or some special abilities.  On the other hand, that green guy could just pass for a gentle leaf.

Wow, you have an amazing eye for the most unusual, and interesting insects. 
  That may be a little Cat-like, I think.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Beautiful pictures!

I've been trying to get some photos of all the beetles we have around here. We get these huge, metallic looking green/black and blue/black beetles that look like you could just pick them up and wear them as a brooch. My camera isn't really good enough though.

What kind of camera and lens are you using?

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Losna. Thank you.

It was just a lucky shot as the camera I used is a basic Point and shoot camera that is at least 5 years old - and old Kodak camera.

One of these days I'm going to save up and get a fancier camera with the lenses such as yours.