butt hair sanitation trim - how short to trim?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently bought a Wahl electric hair clipper so I can trim around the bum and maybe between hind legs areas for my long hair cat. Sometimes if his stool is a little softer parts get stuck on the fur. It comes with several attachments of different length and I was wondering if there's any recommended length I shouldn't cut shorter than. The item I bought is Wahl Bravura Li+ Adjustable Blade Clipper. Thanks in advance!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently bought a Wahl electric hair clipper so I can trim around the bum and maybe between hind legs areas for my long hair cat. Sometimes if his stool is a little softer parts get stuck on the fur. It comes with several attachments of different length and I was wondering if there's any recommended length I shouldn't cut shorter than. The item I bought is Wahl Bravura Li+ Adjustable Blade Clipper. Thanks in advance!
I have a Wahl Electric Clipper as well. My wife has used it once or twice. Mostly she uses "Vibrant Life" brand wipes found at Walmart . These deodorizing wipes are for Cats & Kitten.She chose the Vanilla Coconut scent. It's probably there best scent they offer. 20 wipes are in the package .

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use a clipper. I just use blunt tipped kid's safety scissors to trim back there. No scary noise or vibrations.
Years ago we tried to trim some of greg's matted fur with an electric razor. The result was I instantly learnt your hands actually have a white layer of fat in them. Its between the skin and the red meat/muscle tissue. Greg wasnt even trying to hurt me, he just jumped out of my arms.

Now we use a small pair of scissors, the tip is always pointing away from the cat and we never cut close to the skin, especially around their butts. A cut there could lead to a serious infection.

We then use a warm, not hot, cloth to soften and wipe away any excess and let them finish up the job. Frankly I dont know how they stay so clean with their long fur.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't use a clipper. I just use blunt tipped kid's safety scissors to trim back there. No scary noise or vibrations.
Years ago we tried to trim some of greg's matted fur with an electric razor. The result was I instantly learnt your hands actually have a white layer of fat in them. Its between the skin and the red meat/muscle tissue. Greg wasnt even trying to hurt me, he just jumped out of my arms.

Now we use a small pair of scissors, the tip is always pointing away from the cat and we never cut close to the skin, especially around their butts. A cut there could lead to a serious infection.

We then use a warm, not hot, cloth to soften and wipe away any excess and let them finish up the job. Frankly I dont know how they stay so clean with their long fur.
That was my other option as well, but frankly with my cat I honestly don't know if it would have been any better. Even clipping his nails is a multi-day touch-and-go situation. I hate that I only have 1 cat groomer within driving distance of me and they've been ignoring any way of contacting them.

I've been making do with grooming wipes I bought but even when he pees, afterwards there are droplets stuck to his leg fur. I don't want to be following behind wiping him up after ever litter box use, and he hates getting wiped. He's not matted or anything, I just wanted an easy way to trim some hair back there without having to rely on the single business in my area who won't help me. He's a clean boy otherwise but I feel bad if he has to ingest any pee or poop during his current stool healing period. I'm pretty sure that's how he got an eye infection last month.

All videos of cat trimming online, whether with scissors or clippers, have very docile cats who are either unhappy but hold still, or ragdolls who you can handle any way you want. What would be suggested for a cat who hates being handled that I can't even sneak a nail clip in when he's napping without him getting up and immediately trying to get away?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't sneak hardly ANY trimming in with my long-haired Yammy, he fights like a feral being trapped. Nail trimming is an absolute nightmare, maybe one nail a day. Twice now I have taken him to the vet to be trimmed, they do a great job and only charged me 15.00, well worth it! This is when he has mats down to the skin. He is scared of them so doesn't struggle at all. Now and then when his stools get loose, I take small scissors and trim out any dingleberries when he is on my lap. He shoots out of there like I cut him. You have to be quick, but it works.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of our cats like being held against their will, even when its to their benefit.

However we now have a system. My wife holds one at a time on her lap, we are very calm and talk softly, lots of praise (as if a cat cares if you are proud of them). The scissors, combs, tweezers, my glasses ect are all laid out before she even picks a cat up. We have a short time span, about 10 seconds past the second growl, to work (maybe a minute or so) At that point even if we arent finished....we stop.

When doing "butt" work......we work at waist height on the kitchen counter (being able to see and have quick easy access are paramount). The cat's head faces away from person holding the cat and butt faces towards the person providing the grooming. This way we keep our skin in tact.

The cat always gets a treat....at which point the second cat arrives for "his" treat. The cats have learnt that after suffering such an indignity......a treat or two is promptly given. And we have learnt better stop a minute too soon than a second too late. Actually our boys just never lash out with the intent to do real harm.......a warning bite or two are given after the growls.
20191227_153030-1.jpg