Butt First?

rileyslife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Come on! I love you and everything, but...I don't want to see your butt!
When I sit down, Bella often wants to sleep in my lap or have a cuddle. She will run up to my chest and then turn around and literally put her butt in my face. I move her towards my lap then she settles in and sleeps but ick!
Why is she doing this? Help!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She loves you too and is presenting an area of her body that she is telling you its ok to smell her there.  I would praise her and pet her and then gently rearrange her as you are doing now.  This is variant of normal behavior.   When a cat walks with its tail high it is doing the same thing, making her available to be sniffed.  She is talking to you in the only language she has.  We are different species (obviously) and we speak in different languages.  Welcome to the life of cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rileyslife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got it! I do pet her and then turn her around...awww and ewww lol

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
  That is how my Nilah introduces herself to everyone.   And she's such a gentle, polite little girl.  It's so funny. 

I'm gradually getting her out of it as I don't scratch her back anymore.. I wait till she turns round.. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Yep!  Ozzy is exactly the same.  And since he's a short-haired cat....well, we get the full show.  LOL  

rileyslife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear lol

Well, she's long haired so, I guess I can be grateful for that! Lol

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats don't put their butts in my face, but they do like to have their rear ends touching me whenever they're around. I guess it's the same thing, basically. My favourite is when Bertha head-butts me - we do that a lot when we're playing. I understand that's a real sign of affection.

I wonder why my cats like me to hold their back paws while I pet them. If they don't have their paws in my hand, then they are pushing against my leg or another part of my body. What's with that?

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy

Last edited by a moderator:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie has a knack of waking me up 2 minutes before my alarm goes off no matter what time that is. She has a routine. she jumps on my chest, gets about half an inch from my face and when I wake up she says, "ACK!". never anything else and then normally jumps down after she knows I'm awake. that must translate to get me my breakfast. So a few days ago, she does that, I pet her and say good morning as usual and close my eyes. Then, instead of feeling her jump down, I feel something fuzzy touch my nose so thinking she's nuzzling me or something, I open my eyes. The fuzzy thing was her tail and I had a face full of cat tush no more than an inch from my nose. I petted her lower back and turned her around. Good morning to me indeed. 

Last edited:

rileyslife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably the same thing, affection. Bella needs to touch me with her paw when she's sleeping with me...this was a few minutes ago...typical for her! Lol

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My cats don't put their butts in my face, but they do like to have their rear ends touching me whenever they're around. I guess it's the same thing, basically. My favourite is when Bertha head-butts me - we do that a lot when we're playing. I understand that's a real sign of affection.

I wonder why my cats like me to hold their back paws while I pet them. If they don't have their paws in my hand, then they are pushing against my leg or another part of my body. What's with that?

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy
that's adorable. both my kitties do this. they'll have their rear paw on me when i'm petting them. i think it means different things for each cat. cus for my cat Charlie, he'll push again's me with his rear paw, but with him, its safe to interpret it as "okay human, i'm gonna literally reach my threshold of pets any second now..then i'm gonna bite you" so when he does that, i stop petting him. lol. with my girl Jet, it means "mommy please rub my tummy rub my tummy omg yesssss please don't leave for work :(, here, let me put my butt on you so you know i love you"

cat's are so weird. lol