busted up foot and claws

Floyd and hendrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there. hendrix..the little black warlock in the foreground of profile pic- got spooked the other day and forgot to race back in the front door and ended up at the back door-good boy. but somewhere whilst making his way back he has trashed his claws on all feet and yesterday came up to me and showed me his right rear paw. looks like infection has set in with some bloody pus and i cant get him to relax enough to get right in there for a good look. ive lined up a vet appointment for monday regardless as im concerned that he could have broken a toe. the pics are a bit blurry sorry but something there is so swollen i make out whats happening. after recovering from his fright and obvious pain, its now been a few days. he is eating, drinking and even had a play this morning. anyone have this experience? im all for home remedies and have been spraying with a saline solution with a little coconut oil as i cant get him to let me bathe/soak it. i also gave him a little cbd oil when his ptsd was peaking and it calmed him right down and any other swelling went away (apart from this) i understand not to give him any more (cbd) before monday in case the vet administers a painkiller. thanks in advance, poor little schmookim, he is the one out of the two who always finds himself in trouble, even getting play wand strings wrapped around him etc. meow

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he needs it looked at and most likely you will be given an antibiotic. Get a liquid if you can and mix it in a small amount of tuna juice or gravy from canned foods to administer it. it does look infected and you don't want it to go into his blood. I give all my meds mixed in a pouched liquid treat called Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew. it can be ordered on the internet or is in store at Walmart or Dollar General if you have those. I have never had a cat refuse them. There are wound sprays available for cats at farm supply stores or the internet. I soak a rag in them and wipe the affected area, or even pour it on. they don't like the spray sound. Or use a solution of half water, half peroxide, one time. good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Floyd and hendrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks fionas mum. yeah i made an appointment for tomorrow to get it checked by the vet and thanks for the tips re antibiotics. i always try to do what i can at home but we dont want any blood/bone infections. we r in australia so no wallmart but we can find similiar products. he and his paw are a lot better today and no compulsive licking, pus or inflammation but his toe still doesnt look right. the vet will probs need to sedate him also as he has ptsd. here comes a big vet bill but they are always worth every $$$ spent. thanks for your support