"Bushy", missing cat

dblossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bushy got out the window Sunday, Nov. 22nd, has not come back even for food.
She hid under a car, then disappeared.
We found out later that she fell asleep on someone's car engine.
They started it, opened the trunk, out Bushy ran, fur flying.
Nine days later, while putting out food, looked up, saw her stuck in a tree,
meowing, dear soul!
I panicked and three hours later a tree climbing service came, threw a rope, she jumped (fell) out and down about 40 feet into the woods below.
Haven't seen her since then (nine days ago). Snow, rain & freezing winds came today. No sign of her at all. Put out food & water. Nothing. Not sure what to do now.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry!

Cats that are primarily indoor animals get VERY scared when they escape outside and realize they're in new territory. They usually don't go far - but often won't come out. Even someone familiar walking towards them could cause them to flee. They tend to hunker down and really only come out when necessary. Being up in a tree is very indicative of her just plain being scared.

I'm so sorry she's been gone so long. I hope she wasn't injured falling out of the tree, because that could make surviving the storm difficult.

But to find her, the best thing to do is get together a party of friends and family that she knows, and go looking for her. They are usually found within a "three block radius" of the home.

When she's found, no one should approach her. Whoever she's bonded most closely to should be quietly called over and everyone else should not be near to make her nervous. Sit down (or crouch if it's wet and snowy) sideways to her, start talking softly to her - having her favorite treats handy to set down near you wouldn't hurt. When she comes - scruff her and get her home. !!!

Here is a great article on it: http://www.lost-pets.org/content/view/3/1/ PLEASE read the whole thing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dblossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your thoughts.
We think her tail was severed from the car engine. It looked like half a tail seeing her in the tree.
I tried talking to her for an hour before the tree cutter came. I had sat down
on the hill looking up at her wishing somehow she could get down from there. The next day I went to the exact same spot where I had sat and noticed there was a pet dropping there. Was it hers? I don't know. Also, there were pet footprints in the snow but can't say for sure if they were hers.
Cannot figure out where she would hide. There is a bridge not too far away. Would she hide under it

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She could be hiding under the bridge. She could hide in any small, sheltered spot. Under a neighbor's deck? Someone's garage? Again, I would really recommend you read all the pages of the link I provided in my earlier post and go from there.

dblossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its been 21 days since we saw her stuck in the tree. We are concerned whether she is still alive or not.
We tried leaving out food in the cold (under the window where she fed as a kitten). Noticed some of the food (mackerel) gone, but it could have been our other cat who goes in and out all the time.
I am concerned that she is in another neighborhood and worried that she may not come back.
We are still going to keep putting out food. I have a warming plate on order. Not sure if that will make a difference.
Any suggestions, anyone?
Thank you.

dblossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bushy has been trapped and is back home!
Thanks to all who told us what to do to get her back.
Thank you!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Great news!

Now, Bushy, you stay home where it's nice and warm.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What great news!! How is she doing? How is her poor tail? I bet you are so relieved!!

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow that was some adventure....I sure hope she is recovering from her ordeal..pls keep us posted on her well being now that she is home...