Bush's speech

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deb - I was thinking the same thing! One time when they were showing her, she was barely clapping (this was during a standing ovation), and she was carrying on a conversation with the man next to her. How unbelievably rude! I can't stomach that woman!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Deb, I agree with you, this is a war unlike we have ever known...we are not at war with any one country, but with terrorists, who could be anywhere, and it will take time, to decide the best action to take.
My hubby made me so mad last night , during Bush's speech, when I turned to him, and said, "WOW, this is a great speech, and I am really proud of Bush!" and he answered, "well, it's all talk and no action, blah, blah, blah..."
Like you said Deb, this takes time and patience, and I am confident that Bush will make the right decisions.

Dawn, I too saw Hilary acting all stuffy and "too good to be there" and it made me sick, she has NO reason to give off such an offending attitude about this! I never cared for Clinton, and I don't care much for her either.

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm tired of Bill and Hil too. I noticed it on the day of prayer, when they showed the service at the National Cathedral. They spent more camera time on the two of them than on any other politicians there, including other past presidents and the current one. The Clintions are not the Kennedys, but from the amount of coverage they get, you'd think the press wants them to be.

I'm very much not sure about a Homeland Security Department. One of the reasons I have a hard time voting (though I always do it, you know) is that I am pretty much in favor of as little government interference in life as possible, and when there is some, it should be biassed toward protecting humans from corporations. There is no real Libertarian Party any more, not in the US anyway, and I'm not quite ready to join the anarchists - there is a difference between liberty and licentiousness that they don't seem to grasp.

I also have great fear that civil liberties are in jeopardy when such a department gets created. I suppose it makes sense to issue a national identification card. There has long been the debate between states rights and federal rules, and drivers' licenses just happened to fall on the states' side. The fact that they are not uniform makes it easy to forge an out-of-state license, since nobody can know what each kind looks like. Most other countries have such a thing.

But I am thinking of McCarthyism and Orwell's 1984 and martial law and some other stuff, and "Homeland Security" sounds like a recipe for unlawful search and seizure or harassing citizens on the street or even more subtle incursions like businesses requiring it to write a check and getting access to your credit history through your SSN. (Which is why I have asked in the past for it to be removed from my drivers' license.)

I'm all for security, but I don't want us to get in the habit of tolerating losses of liberty in the name of stopping terrorism. We have learned from the Social Security system that we cannot assume the government will put a department in place for a short time and then remove it. People get used to certain ideas, and Homeland Security seems like it could easily some ideas that would erode our individual freedoms.

Maybe that isn't such a bad thing at the moment, maybe it's a fair trade off, certain freeedoms for safety. In some ways we all make that decision but we have not legislated it before. It's not that I wouldn't comply, at least until I could see which way the wind is blowing, but I do think it's worth talking about theimplications and going into it with our eyes open.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sunlion:

I certainly understand your fears. A friend of mine who recently purchased a vehicle equipped with Onstar commented that if this wasn't "Big Brother", he didn't know what was. I, myself, am more concerned presently about losing the way of life I have known to be secure.

The Homeland Security cabinet post appears to be an effort to coordinate efforts that already exist in this country via the FBI and CIA, to name a couple. One of the reasons terrorists were able to find us vulnerable last week is because the right hand didn't always seem aware of what the left hand was doing. There have already been numerous reports about our vast ability to gather information compared to the lack of manpower in interpreting it.

When I watch shows depicting what life is like in other parts of the world, I am barely able to comprehend it, given the freedoms and luxuries we have here in the States. I, for one, am not ready to give up this way of life.