Buprenex For My Cat!!!

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats UTI came back and I had to go to the emergency vet since the regular vet is closed. The vet at this hospital said he isn' blocked and he didn' want to give him antibiotics but he did gave him pain medication...he gave him BUPRENEX, a strong opioid.
Has anyone given this to their cat?
Anything I should be aware of? I' scared of the side effects and I want to see if there were people that used this drug before for their cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buprenex is a very good pain medicine for cats. It's commonly prescribed after dental procedures in which teeth are removed. You don't give it like a regular liquid medicine. You slide the syringe between the cheek and the teeth and slowly squirt the medicine into that space. It will be absorbed by the gums. Buprenex that is ingested doesnt have much of an effect. Some cats get "stoned" on Buprenex but that's normal and temporary. Did the ER vet give you pre-filled syringes of Buprenex? Or was it just one dose given at the hospital? Buprenex is typically given every 8 to 10 hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buprenex is a very good pain medicine for cats. It's commonly prescribed after dental procedures in which teeth are removed. You don't give it like a regular liquid medicine. You slide the syringe between the cheek and the teeth and slowly squirt the medicine into that space. It will be absorbed by the gums. Buprenex that is ingested doesnt have much of an effect. Some cats get "stoned" on Buprenex but that's normal and temporary. Did the ER vet give you pre-filled syringes of Buprenex? Or was it just one dose given at the hospital? Buprenex is typically given every 8 to 10 hours.
He gave my about 5 syringes to give him at home. He went to sleep when he got home and he slept throughout the night so I didn' give him one yet. I am scared of the taste this medicine has, my cat is very picky and he foams if he doesn' like something and also if there are side effects from it?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He gave my about 5 syringes to give him at home. He went to sleep when he got home and he slept throughout the night so I didn' give him one yet. I am scared of the taste this medicine has, my cat is very picky and he foams if he doesn' like something and also if there are side effects from it?
It doesn't have much of a taste. I've never had a cat who foamed at the mouth taking it. Just squirt it into the cheek pouch slowly. You can follow a dose up with a bit of canned food or other yummy treat.

Since Buprenex is a narcotic (which is why it's a prescription drug), I would't go around telling people that you have this at home. The opiod crisis in people is crazy now and who knows who is desperate enough to break into a home to steal a pet's narcotic medcine. I've even read articles about opiod addicted pet owners who take their pet around to different vet hospitals claming their pet needs a specific narcotic medicine and they use the medicine to fuel their own addiction. Leftover Buprenex and other narcotic medicines for pets should be brought back to the vet hospital for proper disposal. Or look into an anonymos drug take back program in your local area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It doesn't have much of a taste. I've never had a cat who foamed at the mouth taking it. Just squirt it into the cheek pouch slowly. You can follow a dose up with a bit of canned food or other yummy treat.

Since Buprenex is a narcotic (which is why it's a prescription drug), I would't go around telling people that you have this at home. The opiod crisis in people is crazy now and who knows who is desperate enough to break into a home to steal a pet's narcotic medcine. I've even read articles about opiod addicted pet owners who take their pet around to different vet hospitals claming their pet needs a specific narcotic medicine and they use the medicine to fuel their own addiction. Leftover Buprenex and other narcotic medicines for pets should be brought back to the vet hospital for proper disposal. Or look into an anonymos drug take back program in your local area.
Ohh I didn' even think about that but it shouldn't be a problem since I have no friends anyway so no one is touching the drugs.
As soon as he wakes up I will give him the medicine and every 8 hours and tomorro I'l call his regular vet and see what' next.