Bun and Creatinine high but not a lot of outward symptoms

21rouge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took our 15.5 year old indoor outdoor cat to the clinic this past week as I wanted them to check out his teeth and gums carefully. I had noticed he seemed a bit sensitive to kibble while eating and I was thinking that maybe he had a sore tooth or something else not quite right dental related. The vet found his teeth to be in pretty good shape but noticed that a tonsil was quite red. I agreed to a full blood workup as he was interested to see WBC count.

(I am posting the results. I hope you can see them).

As you can see that part of the results are normal i.e. so likely not an infection BUT of course the high BUN and CREATININE are  high which is indicative of kidney dysfunction. The vet surmises that with kidney issues one can have ulcers or mouth issues which he might be seeing with the inflamed tonsil(s).

But this cat outwardly doesn't show much evidence of such kidney problems. That is, he is active (when outside) and I can tell right now, during the winter when he is inside more, that he urinates as expected i.e. lots at once and many hours apart. He has gained some weight since last weighed in late August 2014 (He is a good eater and given only quality wet food with occasional Waggers/Orijen dry). There is no doubt he drinks more water than he did when he was younger and I always add water to his wet food to supplement what he drinks.

The vet, who wasn't expecting such #s wants to draw a pristine urine sample to get a better handle on the problem. 

Of course I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

(Not sure if relevant but less than 24 hours after coming home from the vet he had significant vomiting and diarrhea. He seems better today).

siold

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]Low lymphocytes mean that your cat’s body is low on infection resistance. His body isn’t producing an adequate number of lymphocytes. High Blood Urea Nitrogen can indicate a urinary tract obstruction. High creatinine often means that there are bacteria in the blood.   High cholesterol means there are too many lipids in your cat’s blood. Has he been checked for FIV? I would recommend having him checked for hepatitis, too.  You should also have a urinalysis run. It would be a good idea to get him on a course of antibiotics, too. I would also recommend putting your cat on a better quality food. It would be a very smart idea to put him on K/D food. A cat will not show outward signs of kidney problems until their kidneys are fairly badly damaged. Because you allow him to wander outside, he could have easily contracted FIV. That would account for the low lymphocytes. I recommend you get him an FIV test ASAP. The high cholesterol is likely caused by a poor diet. I don’t know anything about Waggers or Orijen to make a judgment, though. I think the vet is very wise, wanting to draw a urine sample. You are probably looking at FIV, a urinary tract obstruction, a bacterial blood infection or just a cat that hasn’t been fed a good diet. Could you post a link to the Guaranteed Analysis for the foods he is eating? How often is he vomiting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

21rouge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(As I had mentioned the vomiting occurred after he got home from the vet. He is now just fine in that respect.)

I am surprised that you don't seem to know or have heard of "Orijen" cat food. It is arguably the highest quality dry food available for cats. His diet consists of 90% canned food "Hounds and Gatos" as well as "Nature's Instinct". If you do some basic web searching for these brands you will also find that these are top rated cat foods. This cat which we have had over 15 years is rarely ill and is always up to date with his vaccinations. So your insinuation that he is not well provided for is without basis

It appears likely that this older cat has kidney disease (or less likely it has ingested something toxic which might spike BUN and creatinine #s). We will take him in to get a urine sample drawn so we can better know how far progressed is the kidney dysfunction.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

(As I had mentioned the vomiting occurred after he got home from the vet. He is now just fine in that respect.)

I am surprised that you don't seem to know or have heard of "Orijen" cat food. It is arguably the highest quality dry food available for cats. His diet consists of 90% canned food "Hounds and Gatos" as well as "Nature's Instinct". If you do some basic web searching for these brands you will also find that these are top rated cat foods. This cat which we have had over 15 years is rarely ill and is always up to date with his vaccinations. So your insinuation that he is not well provided for is without basis

It appears likely that this older cat has kidney disease (or less likely it has ingested something toxic which might spike BUN and creatinine #s). We will take him in to get a urine sample drawn so we can better know how far progressed is the kidney dysfunction.
awww....poor kitty. i'm glad his teeth seem to be in good shape though.

my snick was diagnosed with "the beginnings of kidney issues" at just under 12 years old. she's 14 1/2 now (well, on feb 1st she'll have the half year) and is in stage 2 chronic kidney disease. our vet took a very proactive approach from the very beginning, starting snick on sub-q's right away. we tried the royal canin renal canned food, but that was rejected by my very picky eater.

snick didn't show any outward symptoms of kidney issues at the beginning. we had an ultrasound done, looking at snick's gastro system (she has IBD), and discovered during the ultrasound that snick's kidneys were abnormally small even for a cat her age. at that ultrasound appointment we did a needle aspiration urine draw, which i dropped off at our primary vet on the drive home.

i think it's great that your vet has planned to obtain a pristine urine sample. your vet sounds like he wants to stay on top of things with your boy. since the possible kidney issues were caught early, treating them and carefully watching the bun/creatinine levels can mean that chronic kidney disease wouldn't progress as quickly. if it is chronic kidney disease -- at your boy's age (15 1/2 years) and with treatment and careful monitoring, your boy could very well live to a normal old age/a nice long life span.

re the vomiting and diarrhea after the vet appointment, it's possible the stress from the vet appointment could have caused very high stress in your boy and that might have caused the vomiting and diarrhea. i know my snick has gotten extremely stressed by blood draws.

i think the 90% canned food with the rest in dry cat food, and with those high quality brands, is a very good diet.

siold

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m very sorry that your cat is sick.