Bullying?

mammakate28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Storm and Rain were born in the same litter and they have been together ever since. They are 5 years old now. Lately Rain has been so mean to Storm. He is biting him, dragging him arouns, when I'm home Storm stays by my side because he doesn't want to be alone with Rain. Rain has urinated outside of his litterbox. I don't know what's going on with him. The vet said he is fine. Is it time to give Rain a new home? How will Storm react? Storm will be by his brother sometimes but usually he is with me or my husband.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes things like this happen, and it's usually because of outside stimuli.  Perhaps some construction is going on outside, or a stray cat is hanging around.  Or maybe a school bus is stopping right outside your house and keeps it's engine running while dropping off kits.  Something out of the ordinary.  Oddly, we're going through this very thing in our own household too.  Our boys are 6 1/2 years old and suddenly there's  quite a bit of fighting going on.  But we know the problem....a neighborhood cat hangs out in our yard
.  And there's not much we can do about it, except try to redirect them by keeping them busy with other things than looking out the window.

If you cannot pinpoint a cause the Rain's behavior at all, and both of them are in good health....did you check Storm too to make sure nothing is wrong with him, then sometimes you have to start cat introductions as if they are brand new to each other
.  You know, first keep them entirely separated, then do scent swapping, they room swapping, etc.  Also, one thing that helps is to brush one, then the other without cleaning the brush.  It transfers the scent between them.

Hopefully some of the experts on behavior will come along soon and offer more sage advise for you.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely agree. Give them a week or so with no contact to let them settle a little, then start gradual introductions - just like you would with absolute strangers.

Feliway diffusers are always worth a go. As this sounds like the root may have been redirected agression, Bach's Rescue Remedy would be worth using for both of them, just to help them let go of the trauma. Another great option would be Spirit Essences - choosing the appropriate blend for each cat. If those don't seem enough, you can always move on to Composure liquid or treats.

Don't give up hope. There are loads of options available to try to resolve this before looking at rehoming.

These articles may help :-

[article="32390"]​[/article]
[article="32680"]​[/article]
[article="29726"]​[/article]
[article="30316"]​[/article]
[article="32366"]​[/article]

Last edited: