bully cat

kennisse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this forum has giving me good advice, that Im going to try my other issue.
I have a 4 year old bengal cat (very hyper)  that is always picking on my on my 4 year old scaredy cat(very mellow). 
70% of the time, he is always hunting him, when he is eating, sleeping, at the litter box,etc. it doesnt seems to catch a break, but what bothers me, is that he bites and hold him down from his back and pulls his hair out. 
the vet told me that when they grow older it was going to change, that it was some kind of submissive behavior.
that was 3 years ago and still the same. 
the rest of the time they are good friends, they play, eat, groom and sleep together. 
I hate for my cat that has to live like that, and when I pet him, his back is scaly and with scars. 
I dont have the heart to return him to the shelter, because every previous owner did.
its not his fault he is a scaredy cat, I just wish I can change that.  I give my bully cat a lots of toys, and play with him a lot so his energy level is low but he always find a way to be bored. Im thinking on getting the cat exercise wheel but need to wait until I can afford it. any advise??? thank you!!!!!

ambermay

I hold your heart close to my chest.
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a very difficult question.

I can say that in a household of 5 cats and 2 dogs - my most hyper cats get to spend their energy without hurting each other.

Whilst one of my cats is very vocal and if she is in a friendly 'fight' with other cats - she cries out, even though she is the one who starts that kind of play, but no damage is done to her at any time by others.

But again - all my animals are accessible to the outside of the yard and they find a lot of things to do there.

Are your kitties inside only?

I'm not professing the outside life for cats, for I know it is very dangerous, but do you have enough entertainment places for them to go around inside - like scratch posts, cat furniture, etc?

We as humans can not possible occupy very active kitty's needs in interaction.  At times they have to be left on their own to find some fun.

Sometimes a smell on one cat would inspire the behavior of another one.

Do your kitties like being bathed?  Mine are okay with it and at times I solve some problems just bathing them.

Only make sure that your kitties are not stressed out with this.  Often a bath will calm down a hyper cat.

But once again - bathing is not necessary for cats and be careful about it - only do it if they are okay with it.  Stressing them more might even aggravate the issue.

Another suggestion is if you can - get a cat-friendly dog.  The type that loves cats.

One of my dogs is a great help in this matter, because she is the one who breaks all the fights between my kitties, even that they are only friendly fights.

We as human 'moms and dads' can not do this without the risk of our kitties blaming us for 'favoritism'.

mimi3908

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it is just very rough play by the bengal cat. The fact that they do groom, sleep and eat with each other to me sounds like the problem isn't all that bad.  In my case, when I adopted my second kitty - she was very alpha - and what we noticed she was super hyper around midnight to morning time and she really drove my resident kitty crazy with stalking and pouncing so we had separate them in different rooms during that period and allow them to mingle in the day time when alpha kitty was more calm. From the 5th month onwards, now they are super friendly to each other and play stalk each other equally but the alpha still gets her way from time to time. I also play with them and try to get my alpha to spend her energy chasing an object that I can wave around my coffee table and she literally runs laps around the table chasing this thing and this is almost a nightly routine with her. Now she expects to play with me at that particular time period and not really bother with the resident kitty.  My new problem is that I just adopted a third kitty, very shy as well, and my alpha is holding territorial ground downstairs and not letting my new kitty come downstairs yet. i figure I give them time to adjust and not force the issue.  I think you are doing fine and they are probably happy together for the most part...just think that from your shy kitty's perspective he would much rather be with you in the house with the love you give him and deal with a little rough play from the bully. For him, I really think it is a small price for him to pay than to be in a shelter. That is the way I always see my cats no matter how frustrating it is sometimes to deal with them, because they are always better to be with me than be in a shelter caged half the time.

ambermay

I hold your heart close to my chest.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I so agree that the shelter life is no match for a forever home.

We can only do the best for them and we do succeed at this most of the time.

mimi - I loved your story and it is a very good example.

I believe that it is always the best for our kitties to be so loved at home, instead of being just 'one of them' in a shelter.

I must admit though that I have never really dealt with certain breeds (all five of my kitties are moggies).

Perhaps someone here could give you a great advice, kennisse.

Don't give up and just wait - the right response will come.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kennisse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes Ambermay, they are only indoor. I live in a 1597 sq. ft apartment, with a big balcony, I think they have good space to play.
I dont have any scratching post, because I have them both on soft paws, but
I just bought them some perches, instead of having a cat tree.
I think the dog is a good idea, I thought of it before, but apartments just allow 2 pets max.
Im going to try the bath him and see if he likes it, but like you said if he gets stress I wont push further.
thanks ambermay!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kennisse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never thought of it in that way, but it makes good sense.
maybe there are some behaviors that you cant really change.
when the bengal bites they don't fight, my shy kitty just stays still and screams, thats when I go and get the bengal off of him. 
sometimes after separating them the bengals go right after again, then I have to put him in another room like for 10 min.
the vet prescribe him prozac, she said that my bengal has OCD.  Im not sure what to think about that, and my cat is very difficult to give him medicine(pills or liquid)
I dont understand why he has to bite him like that, then he is the one licking his wounds. very strange behavior. too late to wish I have all moggies, I love them both so much already.
but one thing I know about getting hybrid cats, is read before you get one, dont get them because they look pretty. all I wanted was a lazy kitty to cuddle with and I have none. one is too hyper, and the other is too scare to come close, maybe in the years to come they will change.
thanks mimi I loved your story too and I think you are right, my shy kitty is way better with me than the shelter.

francisbean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems odd that they groom one another and fight to the extent you described. Cats who groom one another tend to be the best of friends and trust one another. My two youngest bathe each other and while they do play fight it is always good natured. If it does go too far one quickly let's the other know! My oldest cat has begun targeting my roommate's cat and terrorizing her. She never fights back, much like yours, and the situation is stressful to say the least! If I find anything that works I'll be sure to pass it along! Good luck.