Bullied Cat Won't Use Litter Box.

boydwgrossii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family has a 4 cats. They all got along for a long time, but about a year ago or so, the biggest one (female) started attacking the thinnest one (only male of the bunch).

He now has a few places he hides and he will poop outside of 2 of them. He uses the litter box sometimes but when he comes into the living room, he will mostly poop in here. I take care of them while they work out of town.

We have tried just about everything we can think of to get the two to get along and to get him to regularly use the litter box. Instead, he stares at the hallway and gives a loud "meow" sometimes when he has to poop. When this happens, I carry him to the litter box he is most comfortable with. Other times, I he makes no noise, the room just starts to stink and I know he pooped.

I don't know what else to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! That poor cat. What a stressed, fearful life.
Have you tried any methods to actually stop the bully cat, like a loud noise such as jangly keys thrown on the floor near to her, or a shaken can half full of coins, and a firm NO when she's being a bully? This sounds like redirected aggression, --she heard or saw something that made her angry and took it out on him a year ago.

Then, she continued to do so. That is normal cat behavior, unfortunately. Asking him to use a litter box when he's scared to pieces won't work. --A side note, you'll need an enzymatic cleaner like nature's miracle if you don't have it already. Plus, puppy pee training pads on the floor will help with clean up until this gets squared away.

Can you get some calming treats into both of them, Calm-o-mile, composure are two products. Calming Diffusers are made by thunderease, sentry etc.

Also I would seriously suggest a vet trip for him. He's been incredibly stressed out for far too long which is really bad for his health. Think of having an adrenlin rush 24/7. Plus he's holding his poop and pee, which is also bad.

There were a couple of discussions on TCS this year where the approach was to try and increase the victim cats confidence. Maybe that's needed here as well, I'm not sure. You'll be able to get her to behave with consistent, repetitive intervening. It's going to take some time for him to realize he's not going to be bullied any longer.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

boydwgrossii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will look into these. What things can be done with the aggressive cat? I will see if I can pick up some of these calm-o-mile treats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Time outs aren't particularly effective from what I've read. It takes repetitive and consistent intervention on your part as it's happening.
A half full metal coin can that's given a hard shake or two, a key ring thrown on the floor near to her, a HISS, a firm NO.
The idea is to intervene right when she's doing it, to startle, and then rewire, her brain out of bully mode.

boydwgrossii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can throw these keys. I am not here at night and such, so I am not sure what to do after that. I can ask my family to do the same, but I am concerned that they won't.

boydwgrossii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where can I find this "calm-o-mile"?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It will definitely help, what you do and even a NO from any of them (even if it's only now and then) will help as a continuation of your training of her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chewy.com, possibly Only Natural Pet, drsfosterandsmith, Lambert vet supply...

boydwgrossii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ordered some of that oil. He lets me pet him and is rather fond of me. I will strive to pet him with this stuff often. I can throw keys like a boss. I have a lot of keys, so that works.

boydwgrossii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What about a toy? He doesn't play with much and he rarely plays with the cat that loves him dearly. She can get him to play sometimes, but not very often. Most of the time, he is crochety.