Bulemic Kitty?

aries

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats will occassionally really pig out on dry food and then vomit it up. I normally leave dry food out all the time and he usually behaves, but what could be making him go wild and eat the whole bowl full?

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd try to limit the amount of food your cat eats. Yasmine would eat all day long if i kept the bowl full...but she gets a measured cup of her food a day. Might want to try that.

My moms cat used to do that because there were other cats around and didnt want them to eat it...and he would always overeat and get sick.

Is this your only cat??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aries

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Peter is not my only cat, but he has done this before I got the other cats.

It is just really odd. He'll do it a couple of times and then months will pass before it happens again sometimes.

BTW - I love that first picture of the cat on its back! He is so cute!

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aries

Peter is not my only cat, but he has done this before I got the other cats.

It is just really odd. He'll do it a couple of times and then months will pass before it happens again sometimes.

BTW - I love that first picture of the cat on its back! He is so cute!
Do you think something provokes him to over eat? I would definatly have a vet check him over thoroughly to see if there is anything medically going on.

P.S. yasmine says thanks for the compliment...

aries

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to Jasmine for calling her a "he"! She is too cute laying there like that.

My cats rarely ever lay on their backs. Unless they are trying to lure someone into petting them and then springing the trap.

Pete has been seen by the vet. He said to limit his food, too, but he just doesn't do it very often. I have 4 cats inside and I am liable to have a revolt if I start limiting the food supply.

Snow only comes by and eats a couple of bites at a time two or three times a day. And if the dish is empty he will wake you up, no matter what time it is. And he doesn't take no for an answer.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
NO biggie.........she is always on her back...she'll lay on the floor on her back and her feet propped on the side of the couch-- too cute! I think shes just so chubby it feels best to lay like that lol
She also waddles when she walks!

Well i hope your kitty gets better...sorry i wasnt much help!

kelch23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I Don't Know If It Is A Problem, But I Have A Small Little Girl Who Does The Same Thing. I Have Never Seen Another Thing That Would Show Any Signs Of Sickness. She Has Done This For About 6 Years On And Off. She Is Always Healthy When She Goes To The Veh.
Take Care

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cat Sibohan had a problem a few years ago, The food that she was always being fed since she was rescued was no longer agreeing with her. After Trial and error with sample sized bags of several different cat foods I found one that agreed with her. But se used to do the same thing you discribed... eat a bunch of dry food and almost imediately thow it up, nothing digested. I don't know if they develop an alergie to somting in the food or if they litterally become sick of the food we are feeding them but somtimes a change is good.

aries

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the sympathy and advice.

I have tried a couple of different brands of cat food but my bunch is either picky or firmly stuck in their rut. I had to give one bag away because they just would not touch the stuff.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sam is like that too. He gulps his food down if I don't strictly adhere to our food schedule. If I am even an hour late putting down the evening portion, he will go and eat a whole bowl full at one sitting. I watch him closely, and after he's eaten a bit, I go and distract him so he doesn't overeat.

I did find that raising his dish on a low bench helped. And I switched his kibble to a variety that has larger chunks, he has to chew them instead of swallowing them whole, and that made him slow down as well.

I don't believe this is a reaction to the actual food. I think it is a learned behaviour; for some reason, the cat just eats too much, too quickly, and then vomits.