Building work = dirty cats!

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're having a new kitchen installed, with building work involved too, and the house is a mess - dust everywhere - and it will be like this for a month or so.

Our indoor cats (Maine Coons) have horrible thick, sticky fur as a result. I am taking special care to brush them, but their bellies get knotty every day because the oils in the coat that keep it tangle-free are getting dried up by the dust.

I'm concerned that all the dust can't be good for them, particularly when they ingest it while grooming themselves. Apart from trying to keep the house clean, and keeping the cats out of the area while work is going on, I'm not sure if there's anything else I can do? They've never needed a bath before, and anyway that would only offer temporary relief, until they hit the dust again!

I wonder if anyone has any advice, for example for something to feed them to keep the dust from clogging up their insides, or perhaps using some baby wipes on their coats to lift the surface dirt out?

Many thanks

Bruce&Sheila

karenjet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've used fragrance-free baby wipes on my cats when they've gotten dust in their coats, or just a clean cloth with water. I just stroke them with it and it does help. Good luck

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Remember, Maine Coons are basically barn cats. They're tough. I'm not saying don't take precautions, just don't become too obsessive.

wearymicrobe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Remember, Maine Coons are basically barn cats. They're tough. I'm not saying don't take precautions, just don't become too obsessive.
I second this they are pretty indestructible as far as cats go. They have to be really really dirty to get knots at least mine do. Throw them in the bath if it gets to be to much but make sure you neutralize there coats if you use a strong soap.

Grab a furminator and go to town on them if they will let you. Maine coons do like water but they are mean when they don't want a bath. Also surprisingly strong, especially the bigger ones.