Building cat confidence with a new cat

quinnderella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently added a new cat to our home and now my original cat is being a scardy cat.

Here's the back story. We'd found Bella as a 6-8 week old stray kitten six years ago. She didn't get much social interaction beyond our small family and no interaction with other cats. She seemed very aggressive to any passing cats on the other side of the window. Fast forward a few years, and she seemed to mellow. She no longer freaked out about cats around our new hiss and became much more friendly. She never was one to hide and always approaches any new people.

Three weeks ago we adopted at 3 legged 2 year old cat named Molly. We followed strict introduction protocols: complete separation for 1 week, associating smell with food, slowly moving to cracked door, site swapping, supervised interactions. All that time Bella seemed to be the aggressor, always the one to instigate a hiss or growl.

Now, things have progress very well and the two seem to tolerate each other. The problem is anytime there is a stare down or hiss fear, Bella always backs down first. Molly had taken over sitting on the couch with us. Bella may start out in the couch but if Molly jumps up and growls Bella immediately scampers. She doesn't run and hide, but she won't re-approach either. Is this still normal, or is there something we can do to help Bella stand her ground?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal; your new kitty seems to be the alpha for lap time at least. Mine are like that; Noodles will get up as soon as she sees Mooch approaching. But when it's meal time; Noodles eats first; after afew bites Mooch sits back a bit and waits for her to finish. My two are litter mates; this just developed over time. I do make a point of giving both attention. Noodles often settles by my feet at night on the couch while Mooch lays on me. So I'll reach down and pet her some too. But also during the day. Hope that helps you!