Bugsy is in surgery - Vibes please...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

You will get used to to it.
You can always have the meds compounded.
Are you still getting a kitten?
I give the fluids every other day with a 18 G Needle.
She also must have Baytril,Azodyl in pill form.
She gets Norvasc for high bp every night also.
That I have compounded.
Then she gets a binder that is a powder and she has a inhaler for asthma.

The kitten.......................................................................
I need to get a job first - but that happening ( which is looking good) then yes! yes! yes! Funny thing is that even my landlord already asked me when am I getting another one - guess she doesn't have a problem with too many kitties in the house!

I told he I need to get a job and move upstairs to the 2 br apartment first
she likes the idea!!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina - I just saw this thread! I guess we can be stomatitis sisters or something...
I appreciate your advice on Holland's teeth, and I'm sure I'll be here freaking out when she goes in for her dental in a couple of weeks...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Today was day two and Bugsy is doing much better!
We are having a hard time taking his meds, but I was told he should get used to it with time. For the first two weeks he is on a medication 2x a day, plus pain medication for a few days.
After that he will be on medication once a day for life.
Because I had a lot of trouble giving him the meds in the morning, I called the vet told me to bring him in... They are soooooooo nice in there! I read once about them (from another patient, in another forum) "once you walk through those doors you are family", and that is the truth.
They taught me a technique to give him the meds, or what to mix it with to make it appealing (canned pink Alaskan salmon)...
As I was leaving, he said: Carolina - I don't want you to worry about a thing... You won't spend another dollar here... Anything you need for him, you got it. Monthly meds, all his treatments, boarding, surgery... I can make him feel better - you worry about getting a job and your life, and we take care of Bugsy... we know he is your baby, and we will take care of him for you..................
Now, how NICE is that????

I was looking at his bill, and his treatment alone would be $1030, and my cost will be $400... Because they couldn't do the surgery, they only charged $70 for now. I just couldn't believe it... That was a $630 discount off my bill... I left the rest of the $$$ in there with them as a credit to his account so I don't spend it with other things; this way no matter what it is paid in advance for the whole thing. The meds are $30/month, but they will give me that too
.... I hope we can do the Teeth removal before the 6 months... We will see... For now he has a 1-month appointment, then a 3-month appointment. Depending on how he is then, the surgery for the extraction will be scheduled.
I am just soooo happy that he is on his way to a better life...
I also feel so fortunate that I found such wonderful and caring group of people. Not only these are fantastic doctors, but they really do care more about the animals then the money... I am so lucky...
I can totally say that I have a very deep respect, admiration and gratitude to both my vet and my dentist to the care they have for my babies
Wow, just wow! That story made my eyes fill with tears!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We Survived the first two weeks!!!

And why is that such a big deal, you might ask? Well, because for the first 2 weeks I had to give Bugsy his meds 2x/day, and he is an 18lb big and strong kitty!
Because of this meds routine he was getting so traumatized of me
... He couldn't see me, and he would just run under the bed... so sad! It felt as though I only got him to give him meds... It was becoming a very sad relationship; I am SO relieved that is over now! Now he will only take his meds once a day, and that sounds SO GREAT! I am so excited!!!!!!!!

Aside from that, he is doing great! No longer on pain medication, eating normally, and I think his teeth are already much better. I am sure he is in pain, as he still has to deal with his resorptive lesions (curretly treated/desensitized) and with his stomatitis, but he is handling well, and to avoid the side effects, I decided to stop the pain meds.
Before, he had a hard time eating wet food - it would bother his gums getting stuck in it, and he would have these bruxism episodes, trying to clean his teeth, and then just give up after eating a couple of bites.
I am glad to report that he is eating his dry food normally, but he no longer shows this problem with the wet food (bruxism trying to clean his teeth), which makes me believe his teeth are not bothering him as much
I am feeding him now more wet food, finally!

The medicine he is taking also addresses his IBD, so since he started, his poop has been wwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better!

The only thing he needs more is energy - I am sure it has to do with the pain... I hope the better he feels, the more active he will be

We will go beck on the 16th for a follow up, then in another 2 months...
I hope we can have at least his resorptive lesions extracted on the 16th - we will see, it will depend on his progress...
For now he is doing amazingly well!

Vibes for my baby!!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the happy update! I'm so glad Bugsy is doing better!

Tolly had trouble with wet food, too, when he had his resorptive lesions. Dry food they can eat without chewing at all, so they find it easier.

I know what you mean about them hiding from you because of frequently medicating. Ootay was like that at first, in her early days of treatment for all her illnesses. I made sure to approach her and pet her and pick her up many times a day, so she would know that not EVERY time I reached for her I was going to do something nasty.

All paws crossed that he can have the extractions at the next visit.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay Bugsy!!!! I'm glad he's doing so well, good boy Bugsy

Sending lots of that be continues to heal well!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina, you and I are definitely going through the same thing! Just keep focusing on how much better Bugsy will feel once he's all healed up. I barely made it through Holland's surgery day, now I cannot wait for her mouth to heal. She's slowly getting used to her "new" mouth.