Bugsy is going to the vet tomorrow... Please send him vibes....

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Ok, so the results are finally back, and they are great!

soooo....
IBS is either non existing or too mild that he doesn't require steroids...
B-12 levels normal;
no pancreatitis;
Folates are high, which indicates the culprit: Clavamox killed the microflora in his gut, caused an overgrowth of bad bacteria and inflammation from which he is having a hard time recouping.
Treatment: metronidazole to reduce inflamation, fiber to build bulk and slow down his intestinal tract, and probiotics to rebuild his intestinal flora.

NOTHING SERIOUS

THANK GOD!!!

no giardia, no T.Foetus, no parasites...

clavamox

sooooooo relieved!!!!!!
Now it is just a matter of time and patience, but my boy is going to be just fine YEY!!!!!!!
OMG I'm so happy for Bugsy and for you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a relief! Is Fortiflora a probiotic? Or does he like yogurt? Isn't that a natural probiotic? Just curious as to what you will be giving him to build up his intestinal flora.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

What a relief! Is Fortiflora a probiotic? Or does he like yogurt? Isn't that a natural probiotic? Just curious as to what you will be giving him to build up his intestinal flora.
Yogurt, fortiflora are probiotics, but he is on a much stronger one called Proviable-DC. If I am not mistaken the Fortiflora dose, is 10million CFU (bene-bac is 20 million, probios 10 million, human acidophillus 100 million). Proviable is 5 Billion CFU... In addition Proviable has probiotics as well, helping with the effects of the probiotics...
This was prescribed by his vet, I did not know about it before

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately Metronidazole had no effect this time... In a conversation with his vet, we are moving into the next step... Prednizolone for 5 days then every other day for 10 days - depending on the results we go from there. Please continue to send vibes for my boy, I don't want him to be on pred for life

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh phooey! I was hoping to see a good report.

Bugsy

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that you and your vet find something that works well with minimal side effects - GI issues are just so challenging to resolve.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is due to ab's affecting the flora in his gut, how come the vet is thinking of going straight to steroids rather than contine pro and pre biotics to help soothe the inflammation, as he is otherwise fine in himself? I would have personally asked for one long acting steroid shot and seeing how he did on that, as it is a shorter course of steroids than the regime he is now on. I hope they do the trick and he can come off them as soon as this course is finished.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

If it is due to ab's affecting the flora in his gut, how come the vet is thinking of going straight to steroids rather than contine pro and pre biotics to help soothe the inflammation, as he is otherwise fine in himself? I would have personally asked for one long acting steroid shot and seeing how he did on that, as it is a shorter course of steroids than the regime he is now on. I hope they do the trick and he can come off them as soon as this course is finished.
The pre and probiotics will rebuild the flora, but will take time. The inflammation needs to be taken care off, as it can turn into pancreatitis or something even worst. Yes, he is doing good otherwise, but for how long, really? 70 days of diarrhea is simply not healthy. The vet is not going straight to steroids, he has tried 3 course of antibiotics that have anti-inflammatory effects on the gut with no effect. He is also on a very strong probiotics. This is the next step, not the first step. While a long acting steroid shot works well for things like stomatitis, it does not work as well for intestinal tract inflammation - this has already been discussed. Bugsy has had also horrendous side effects from Depo-Medrol, and he can not take it again. His blood tests indicate that a low dose steroid should suffice. Also, if he presents any side effect, it can be pulled, contrary to a long acting injection.