budgies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my budgies is yellow and green the other is blue and white.I will try and get pics posted tomorrow.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adore budgies!! My mom was allergic to animals but she said I could have a budgie so long as I kept it in my room. My mom found out that the budgie and loved it to pieces.

We never closed the cage door and he had the freedom to fly around the house at will. He was cage trained. I don't know how, but he never did his business anywhere but in his cage.

He was spoiled rotten and such a funny guy. I had long hair and he loved to sit on my shoulder and burrow his way under my hair and sleep by my neck. He also loved to give kisses and he just loved shiney objects like earrings or a coin on the floor.

He also loved to share food. If you called "Birdie num nums!" he would fly and land on whatever you were eating..which was usually chocolate ice cream. And he loved scrambled eggs and would sit on the edge of the plate and eat along with you.

And man, was he smart. He actually had a vocabulary and could say a whole host of human words. If you spend lots of time talking and interacting with them they can learn to talk real words.

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a budgie fan too! Currently I have two- a male English blue dutch pied and a female american olive green with tons of black barring. I do not provide a nest box so have no babies and have no plans for such. I have only ever had one budgie who was an egg layer-a blue american hen.
My yellows and greens over the years have been the hardest to sex. My Olive now (that's her name, as well as her color) is a dark brown at some times and an indecipherable pale waxy color at others-as were several of my other yellowish birds. My blues have always been quite obviously male-bright purple blue ceres all year long. But then, I have never had one of the muted blue colors-I suspect that masks cere color too.
They are great little birds regardless of sex. I have only over my forty odd years on the planet been able to teach one to talk-an american blue dutch pied, cheap fellow from a pet store, many years ago. he would eat from my plate with me. A rare friend, he even sometimes nested down for the night on my belly. Enjoy your budgies!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is really making me miss having budgies. They are such wonderful little things, great company, intelligent, and quite easy to keep them happy - they don't tend towards psychological/emotional problems the way that some larger parrots do.

RIP Titus and Maximus, we miss you loads

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only had the budgies
And we liked the males better as they usually are easier to train and are better talkers if you want that. And they seemed to have brighter colors.

So we'd only get the males. That way we didn't have to worry about egg binding or breeding. And we only got one bird at a time.