Brushing my cat's teeth

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had read earlier about CET toothpaste and the better flavors it has as opposed to the malt flavored four paws I tried before, which both the cat and I hate (I hated it because honestly, how can any cat like malt flavoring? It smells sickly sweet and sort of oakey, the oakiness is somwhat like Jack Daniel's, or at least that's what it reminded me of). They ran away after just a sniff of it. So I researched dental care a bit more and found some gels, like biotene, that a lot of people recommend over normal toothpastes.

I have never brushed my cat's teeth, should I start off on toothpaste, or gel? It sounds like the gel might be easier to use since it's a squirt on each gumline and you're done, but does it work as well as normal toothpastes? I couldn't care less about having to use my finger to brush the teeth (I' go that route over an actual toothbrush), but if it provides the same level of cleaning while also being a little more convenient, I'll go with the gel.

Also, if you do recommend toothpaste over the gels, what flavor seems to work best? I need to order whatever I get off amazon due to no local availability, and I don't want to have to wait twice as long because I initially ordered a flavor my cats hate. Seafood and poultry would be the two to choose from, Memphis is sensitive toward beef.

EDIT: oh, and if there's any other choices that I'm not even aware of that might be beter, I am all ears on those as well. Thanks.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am probably not the best one to give you pointers because my cats pretty much love all the flavours I've offered this far. Not finicky at all!

Anyhow, was it the Petrodex Malt yours did not like? That's the one that seems to be most widely available locally (here). Mine will eat that like candy, so much so it's hard to brush if I put it on the brush first. The same goes for the CET poultry flavour which is everyone's fave.

For me the best one has actually been the beef (sorry) because it's yummy enough but not so delicious that all energy goes into eating it. The beef one also seems to adhere better on teeth, it's clear and more gelly than the poultry - before it gets licked. I'll get a few more swipes in! I have not tried CET fish flavour because I personally am not so crazy about fishy smells

I am not sure which gel ones you mean. I am currently using Maxi-Guard for my boy who has dental issues. That has very appealing flavour but it is very fluid-y. I only apply it to the mouth and don't brush but it can be used both ways. All my boys like that one too, they've all gotten to taste it. Freshens the breath nicely too. Only drawback I see to that one is that once you dump the C-vitamin into the bottle it has limited shelf-life - if only using it for one cat I am not sure if there would be a lot of waste before the contents go bad. The benefit to that one is that it's supposedly very good for healthy mouth.

I can def recommend both the CET poultry (if you have probs with beef) and the Maxi-Guard. Also look into the CET chewies. All of mine do not like them or know how to chew them but they are good and stress-free for cleaning teeth too.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our Leo is the only one who eats the CET treats, and is very funny to watch him, he eats them as if they were prey. The others don't know what to do with them...

Our cats don't do well with the actual brushing of the teeth and we gave up on toothpaste. So what we do instead is to wet Q-tips in CET mouthwash and rub the gumline and the teeth. Afterwards we squirt some in their moth also. We are now in the process of getting Sweet Pea used to this (he is a former feral).

cosabella

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky that my cat tolerates having his teeth brushed. He does not like it and will run away as soon as he sees his toothbrush, but he won't put up a fight and will endure it.

I use only malt flavored CET toothpaste. I eschew poultry, seafood and beef flavors. The way I see it, my cat will never get used to having his teeth brushed. He will never like it. If I use poultry flavor, he will associate the brushing with any wet or dry food that has chicken in it and will not eat it (that's my thinking). At least with malt, he will never have to taste it beyond the toothpaste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea for a cat who hates having his teeth brushed. I'm still optimistic that my cats won't mind it, which is why I'm trying good flavors and only using my finger if I do go for a toothpaste, that way they don't develop those problems with food flavors. If they really do hate having their teeth brushed and there is no hope for improvement, I would switch to malt for the same reason you use it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Merlin is the only one of my cats who really needs dental care daily. He absolutely loves the malt flavor. If I put it on the toothbrush he eats it so fast I never have a chance to get it on his teeth. The kit came with a finger cot that works a lot better than the toothbrush. (Also less painful than using my bare finger)

I tried the biotene mouthwash, which worked well for the first application only. After that all I have to do is get the bottle out of the cupboard and Merlin heads for the hills. If I do manage to pin him down to give it, he spits and foams and I end up getting more on me than in him.

As far as flavors go, I'm afraid you'll just have to try different ones. Some of my cats are okay with the poultry flavored ones and they all hate the fishy ones.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm too much of a wussy to attempt it, as I would fear for my life trying to brush Buttercup's teeth, as vids I had seen people do it with their finger! Sharp teeth... finger scrubbin... mmm, no.

I just check them (very quickly) now and then, and occasionally give them greenies as treats which are supposed to be good for dental hygiene.

My kitties LOVE malt flavor though, and who doesn't like Jack Daniels, heh. Will stay tuned to this thread, and probably give it a try when they are a little older and more mellow, but if your kitty is very young you can probably skip it for now too I would think unless perhaps the idea is to get them used to it. Good luck!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Realize actual brushing is not needed... the enzymes in the toothpaste do the work... Most pet stores have at least three flavors even petrodex comes in beef, chicken , malt and fish..I saw peanut butter at one store..Yes , I have been told by over 10 different vets this... I personally prefer the dental aids you put on food...

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Petzlife gel on my animals, on the recommendation of a friend of mine who uses it on her 6 dogs with great success. I don't know that they really appreciate the flavor so much, but my dogs don't seem to mind it. My cat Griffin has awful, horrible breath if we don't "brush" his teeth semi-regularly. He will not stand for me putting my fingers in his mouth at all, so I have to wrap him in a towel and have DH hold him to do anything at all. I then put the gel on a tiny toothbrush (in order to not lose a finger) and do a few gentle swipes across his teeth with the brush. This works out okay, but I don't know that I could do it without a helper to hold him for me. Good luck looking for a flavor your kitties like!

heathen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats loathe their teeth being done. I gave up on the brush and now just smear some enzymatic gel all over their teeth with a finger before they flail free and run away to hide, lol. They all have pretty awesome teeth, too, except my newest baby who has never had dental care her whole life. She's got some tooth issues but again, she's new to me so I can't claim to be the one to've failed her thus far and can only promise to do what I can to repair the damage done and keep her from getting worse.

So long as you get the "toothpaste" or gel onto the teeth, it will benefit them. The way it works is different from our human dental care products.