Brushes

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so, everything in my house is always covered in kitty hair. Clothes are taken out of the dryer, and before they can get into the dresser, they are covered. I have tried several brushes, and can't seem to find one that actually helps the boys to shed. Can anyone link me to the kind of brush that would work? They are medium haired, it's not quite long, and it's not quite short. I'm to the point where I would like to use the lint roller on them
Thanks in advance!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is that you're looking at brushes and need a deshedding tool. They're not the same thing.

Good deshedding tools: Furminator and Zoom groom. The latter works well on fussier cats.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The furminator is, IMHO fantastic, and the way to go...
It is on deal on Amazon from $35 to $8.00!!! This is an amazing price and I am sure it won't last though! It reduces the shedding by over 90% !!
Use it only once a week though - don't go crazy!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a furminator knock off call the fur buster, I got at walmart. Furminators were a lot more than $8 at the time.

It works great, though my cats needed time to get used to it. I use it a couple of times a week, and the regular comb on other days.

However my home is still furry. it doens't bother me though.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I use a furminator knock off call the fur buster, I got at walmart. Furminators were a lot more than $8 at the time.

It works great, though my cats needed time to get used to it. I use it a couple of times a week, and the regular comb on other days.

I paid over $30 for mine... $8.00 is insane!
Furminator is also insane... and dangerous in the hands of a man
... The other day I went to my doctor, and he was telling me how annoyed he was at all the fur at his house. When I asked him if he had the furminator, he said "oh, yes, but my wife keeps it away from me... I have so much fun using that thing I can't stop until my cat has bald patches!"
Classic men

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do your cats tumble around and play together? While using the furminator keeps mine from shedding on things as much, it does nothing for the fur that comes out in clumps when they play rough.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Do your cats tumble around and play together? While using the furminator keeps mine from shedding on things as much, it does nothing for the fur that comes out in clumps when they play rough.
Excellent point LOL

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep... there's nothing like watching a large fur tumble weed cross the floor minutes after you've sweeped and dusted (wood floor) thoroughly because a couple of your cats decided to tackle and wrestle each other.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't forget simple things like vacuuming and dusting to help control the hair, too. We use lint brushes on all our clothes and even on the bed at times.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lint or sticky brushes on the clothes only.

I would use a comb, Furminator on the cat at least 2-3 times a week. Higher quality foods will help reduce shedding. Keep in mind that indoor cats shed year round and usually more in the spring and fall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know we will never stop their shedding entirely, I just needed something to help them shed, haha. I will definitely get a furminator, hopefully that will help us!

Also, they are fed decent food, so I know they aren't shedding an abnormal amount or anything...we are just used to my dog who only sheds a moderate amount twice a year.

Thanks guys!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes they Tumble with one another quite a lot but my apartment is all carpet so the fur doesn't tumble, it embeds

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes they Tumble with one another quite a lot but my apartment is all carpet so the fur doesn't tumble, it embeds
When we first moved in only the kitchen and one bathroom wasn't carpeted. The living room had a short, tight weave, dark teal carpet. I could vacuum and it would be covered in hair seconds later just from a cat walking through.
So I'll take fur tumble weeds over that any day.

Certain fabrics and colors, not matter what you do to combat shedding, are just terrible for showing fur. You'll go out of your mind, if say, you're trying to keep a dark blue or black couch fur free with white or light colored cats in the house.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Certain fabrics and colors, not matter what you do to combat shedding, are just terrible for showing fur. You'll go out of your mind, if say, you're trying to keep a dark blue or black couch fur free with white or light colored cats in the house.
We are pretty much out of luck no matter what we do..our kitties are black and white. Haha.

We ordered the shedder thing last night. I can't wait to have it, hurrah!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laceface

We are pretty much out of luck no matter what we do..our kitties are black and white. Haha.
I have pretty much every common color in this house.
But as a general rule: white fur sheds more than black/dark fur. It's not that it actually does, but that it shows up more.
My black cat sheds, but I rarely see it.

I hope the deshedding tool works.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laceface

We ordered the shedder thing last night. I can't wait to have it, hurrah!
Glad you got the furminator (I am assuming that's what you got?)!! It is AMAZING! Just one thing: Start slowly, specially on the first time you use - it is easy to get overly excited and not know when to stop... A couple of stokes per location, and keep moving along until you do the whole kitty - by the end you will have a second kitty on the floor
Oh, Comb the kitty first to remove any matts they might have!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When using the furminator, instead of just brushing and piling the loose fur off to the side I use my left hand (I'm right handed) to pet after each stroke of the furminator and add the fur from the furminator to the disc of fur that builds up in my hand.
This prevents a lot of loose fur from flying around as you work (because if it floats around it will inevitably end up going up your nose) and you get this small felted disc of fur that is easy to through away.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the furminator! Too bad it only works on Buddy and Sami. I've yet to find a brush/comb that works on Parker and I've tried a lot!...Parker sheds in tumble weeds. Its not so much all over the place as it is random puffs floating across the floor lol. But we over used the furminator the first time...Sami had only a fine layer of fur on her back for a while. (oops!)
Definitely cuts down on the shedding a bit.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Glad you got the furminator (I am assuming that's what you got?)!! It is AMAZING! Just one thing: Start slowly, specially on the first time you use - it is easy to get overly excited and not know when to stop... A couple of stokes per location, and keep moving along until you do the whole kitty - by the end you will have a second kitty on the floor
Oh, Comb the kitty first to remove any matts they might have!
Yes that is what we got! You guys said it is awesome, and how could we pass it up discounted that much? I'm sure my boys won't let me do much at a time anyway, so it should be ok! Will it be suitable for the dog as well? She has short hair, but she does shed now and then.