Bruises on cats skin. Fleas?

fluffycakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Good afternoon.
Due to the pandemic I’m stuck at home with a risk group person so I cannot go to a vet atm. I found weird bruises two times on my cats skin and I’m wondering if It’s bad enough to bring to the vet. Not sure if it’s fleas or if he’s scratching himself

I’ve found these on the top of the neck and also below the chin, also neck area.
Could it be flees or skin disease? The cat is 10+ years old now. 😢I’m very worried.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks more like scabs or scratches. Is there another cat, or in they places he could have scratched himself? To look for fleas, wait until he is in a good mood and stroke him until he rolls over and exposes his abdomen. In the junction where his thighs meets his torso, the hair is much thinner and you can see fleas very easily. They are quick, so look fast! I wouldn't treat him unless you see some. I take it he goes outdoors to be able to get fleas? Another cat may have got hold of him too. If he is strictly indoors, then fleas are most likely not going to happen and look into how he scratched himself.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It does look like scabs, probably from scratching himself or from rough-housing with another cat. If it is from scratching himself, the possible causes are numerous.

To start off with, look for fleas as mentioned above. Get a dish filled with very soapy water (dish soap) is fine, also some paper towels and a flea comb. Take long strokes down his body with the comb and dip the the comb in the soapy water in case there are any fleas on it - they will drown in the soapy water. Wipe the comb off on a paper towel and repeat this process until you have combed all of him, finishing off with the tail - as that is where the fleas will 'run' while you are doing the combing. Also, check the paper towel for red-tinged coloring - that would indicate blood from flea bites and flea dirt. Flea dirt is merely flea excrement and will include blood from them ingesting your cat's blood when they bite.

If no fleas are found, the next step is to keep an eye out on the scabs - to see if they heal properly or if they continue to multiply and spread. If they do, it could be an allergy that has started due to food, litter, seasonal changes, or even other environmental factors. If you do have other cats, check them for scabs as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Often when cats scratch around their head and neck, it's actually due to a food allergy. Sounds strange, but it's true. And cat's can develop allergies to food that they've eaten for years. If you can't find any other source (other cats, fleas), you might change his food and see if he stops scratching, although it may take a few weeks to notice a difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffycakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your replies!! Really helped with anxiety. I ended up finding out my cat got into a fight with a neighbor cat outside in the balcony 2 weeks prior or so!!