He's like my shadow
Sweet cat
Only other symptom is he's extremely thin, despite eating like a horse
He seems alert and purrs a lot

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't your vet appointment this coming Tuesday @ 10;30 a.m.? I honestly think it would be best to wait until you see the vet but write down all your questions beforehand so you don't forget anything. And tell them about his weight loss since having an underlying health issue is a possibility of something else brewing. Giving the vet a list of all the symptoms and changes you mentioned in your posts would be helpful too. Best of luck and sending special thoughts to Bruce. :vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Coralcup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it's on Tuesday
I got some batteries for the scales so I could weigh him
I'm. Pleased to see he's gained 400g in 3 weeks
He's still boney
Does that rule out a thyroid issue

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is the pupil of the affected eye always dilated like that?
Regarding the brown spot on the lower eyelid, sadly I think that is the least of his problems. He looks like a very sweet cat.
I am not a veterinarian and don’t hold a license. This is just my opinion. It could be Horners syndrome. Although usually the eye with the eyelid up has the smaller pupil. Horners syndrome is neurological and can be caused by many things. Some will resolve, some won’t. Do as said before, he needs to see the vet to figure it out.

Coralcup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No his eyes never been like that before

He is a amazing cat
I've nursed him for years
He had barely any teeth
His stomatitis is in remission atm
He's unfortunate to have perm congestion and runny nose due to been infected by the breeder as a kitten

Coralcup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just seen the vet. Totally useless
Was a student vet who looked about 14
She didn't have a clue about his eye
Got a 2nd opinion
Nothing serious, not a tumour or ulcer. Can see 3rd eyelid and eye is sunken. Said both look different

Decided its prob related to his cat flu and age. Said he's thin. I know that. I said he's on extra food
Asked me if he's been flead and wormed. I said no as he's a indoor cat
He does not have worms.
Useless
What a, waste of time and money
Just said keep an eye on his weight and if he keeps losing bring him back for blood tests

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just seen the vet. Totally useless. What a, waste of time and money. Just said keep an eye on his weight and if he keeps losing bring him back for blood tests
I'm really sorry you didn't have a better experience with a vet who is more knowledgeable and informed. Thinking of Bruce and you.🤗

Coralcup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bruce eye looks worse to me. He's lost lots more weight he's only 2
7 k now... Yet eating like a horse. Seems his normal self jusr looks emaciated. I'm. Worried. Twice I've asked vets for blood tests. Still not done any
He is a pic what's your opinion
He's not drinking /peeing excessively

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Twice I've asked vets for blood tests. Still not done any
What reason did the vet give you for not running any bloodwork? Bruce may have an underlying health issue that could benefit from running labs especially since he's losing weight too. I'm really sorry you have not been able to get more help. 🤗

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My opinion is that Bruce desperately needs to be seen by a different veterinarian, preferably a feline only, if available. There is something very wrong and he needs care urgently before it’s too late.

Things that come to mind with a skinny cat with a voracious appetite is hyperthyroidism. Easily detected with a blood test and easily managed with daily medication. Untreated, hyperthyroidism will kill him. He will never gain weight, develop heart disease and kidney disease as well as hypertension. He will literally starve to death even though he is eating.

What shocks me is that he saw a vet and they did not think diagnostics needed to be done. I am literally dumbfounded by this. Student vet or not.

Are you in the US?

The thing is, if it is hyperthyroidism which is very probable, until he is on medication he will continue to suffer and starve to death no matter what you do. Obviously, I don’t know for sure, but he has the symptoms.

The pictures, in my opinion ( not being a veterinarian) show a cat in critical condition, emaciated, very dehydrated and suffering from something that needs to be discovered.

In a perfect world, you would want to do bloodwork, a senior panel, with a T4 ( thyroid) and an FPLI ( pancreatic test), a urinalysis, a full eye exam and possibly a neurological exam, an ultrasound and radiographs along with hospitalization and supportive care.
The world is far from perfect and most people don’t have that kind of money. I know, I don’t.

At the bare minimum, he needs to have bloodwork and a thyroid check. And be treated accordingly.

Do you need a link to find a feline veterinarian near you.

I am sorry to be so blunt, but I am very concerned for your little cat.

Coralcup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first vet just said is he peeing drinking lots. I said no. He said not thyroid or kidneys then

I'm in UK
Yes there's a cats only vets 2 miles from me. They are very good but not cheap

I thought with a thyroid issue they would be vomiting constantly and peeing. He's not

Coralcup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First vet said we have a waiting room. Full and busy

2nd vet a student just said if he keeps losing weight bring him back for bloods and prob need to euthanize
Not happy with them
He's my baby and he's my world

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in UK. Yes there's a cats only vets 2 miles from me. They are very good but not cheap.
I truly understand the financial burden of health care for pets and have experienced it firsthand myself. But there are certain responsibilities that come with having a pet and if there's any way you can take Bruce to the feline vet two miles away from you that could help him tremendously. The sooner he receives not only bloodwork but an accurate diagnosis the better.

You can explain your situation to the feline vet and discuss a payment plan with them. I looked up financial help in the UK and found this information which you may want to consider:
For pet owners on a low income or on certain state benefits, the PDSA, Blue Cross, Dogs Trust, RSPCA, Cats Protection and even local independent charities may be able to provide free veterinary treatment or help towards some of the costs. You'll need to contact individual organisations to discuss your situation.

Coralcup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The pdsa are the only vet who do financial assistance payable every month
1 pet is free. Others 50 per cent discount

I've requested an appointment online, that's the way pdsa operate
I've said he needs blood tests and eye no better and thin
They can take a week to get back to you. They are always busy

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The pdsa are the only vet who do financial assistance payable every month
1 pet is free. Others 50 per cent discount I've requested an appointment online, that's the way pdsa operate
I've said he needs blood tests and eye no better and thin They can take a week to get back to you. They are always busy
I'm glad you reached out to the PDSA. Fingers crossed you get an appointment soon. :crossfingers: Please keep us updated.

Coralcup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought cats who vomit and pee and drink lots is thyroid and kidneys
He does none of the above

He purrs all the time a lapcat and sleep s under my duvet with me