Bruce and Wind.thoughts needed.

harmonylovelyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm cat mom to 2 cats Bruce is around 2 1\2 and Wind who is around 2 I believe. I adopted Bruce when he was a kitten and for the last 2 years he lived with my boyfriend and I at his family's house. The house was very active with 2 dogs another cat and 6 people.

I recently bought my first place and moved Bruce and I out. Bruce lived alone with me for a little over 2 months and I decided that I wanted to adopt another cat for a companion. I found Wind at the same shelter Bruce came from and fell in love.

She's a sweet heart. I brought her home and did a slow introduction. Keeping her in the spare bedroom and feeding by the door letting them smell each other and so on. They seem to be okay with each other after about a week and half to 2 weeks. I should have kept with the slow but I thought they were okay. At first it was light hissing and growling and then one would get bored and walk away.

Now as the month has progressed. They fight. Not a horrible amount no blood yet. But enough that it has me stressed. They don't do it all the time and what I don't understand is they can both lay on my bed and sleep and not fight...maybe some growling but it last for about 2 seconds and then they are fine. But when they are in the living room if wind goes to walk around bruce will chase her and that's when the fight occurs. I'm not sure what to do. I am trying to reintroduce them but they seem fine with each other until wind goes to move anywhere and then bruce will give chase. Any comments would be appreciated.

Wind is female and fixed
Bruce is male and fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to redo introductions.  You moved too quickly and it backfired.  Separate the cats and restart the process.  It will take time, but it can be done.  Cats sometimes learn to get along quite quickly while others can take months and months to get along.  I had a feral cat I brought into my home last year.  I had another cat as well as a large dog.  The process of integrating the cats took one solid year.  It was alot of hard work, but well worth it.  Here are some articles and a video to help you.

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harmonylovelyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats what I've started to do. I hate keeping Wind in the room because she seems to want to go out and walk around the house. But I figure this is better then her being chased. I'm not sure if Bruce is doing it to be dominate or if he's trying to play. And also should I let him stick his paws under the door. He likes to lay outside the door and paw at it

harmonylovelyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do the switching of the room and she doesn't really pay attention to his paws. She batted once or twice back then she backed away started to growl but by then he had pulled away and left and that was the first she growled when he's done it. They are fine with each others scents I switch blankets and done the sock method and neither one seems to Care about smell and they both eat right by the door and have no problems but I'm taking it slow. I thought about getting a net to go in front of the door with a baby gate.like the magnet nets you can get to keep bugs out. Would that work?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would assume a cat could burst right through a magnetic screen.  Yet if you did it only supervised it might work.  This screen door was only $20 at Lowes and the tension rods $4.  I used it for months. 

harmonylovelyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The way the bedroom is set up I don't have a way to put a door to it.its a side bedroom in a trailer so I don't have enough wall space to put tension rods

harmonylovelyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About doing the introduction thing again...well would love to but Bruce is being very bad. He can open doors. So he continuously opens winds bedroom door. The open to the inside so I can't really put something in the way of the door to stop him from doing this.and now that she is in her room he walks around and cries and cries almost like he misses her. Wind doesn't like being in the bedroom either and the second I open the door for feeding or anything she's out the door. They can eat next to each other and even sleep by each other fine. I think the reason they fight is because Bruce wants to play and wind doesn't. So she gets upset when he chases after her to play. Still not sure what to do at this point

Last edited by a moderator: