Brown Recluse Spiders

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
not on the topic of recluses, but i killed two spiders today. they've been all over the house in the last couple weeks-i think cos the warm weather is starting here. i can't stand them tho. i have to kill them fast before my mind can t hink about it too much, or i'll go into panic mode and just stand there for a half an hour trying to get up the courage to kill it. our apartment sucks bug-wise..we rent, so we can't really make any modifications to it, and there is a gap between the bottom of the back door, and the ground, im sure lots of them get in that way..also we keep the windows open a lot, and even tho we have screens, i think they slip in underneath them.. i'm so paranoid now.. what's that saying, for every bug you kill, there's ten more that you can't see, there in the house? i hope that's not true of spiders :/

its only spiders with me. we get huge, nasty looking potato bugs in august, coming in under the door..dunno if you know what they look like but theyre truly horrid looking-but they dont bother me at all-i pick em up with a napkin and put them gently outside. but a spider 1 tenth teh size? im scared to death.

i annoy myself sometimes, i really do. it's just a SPIDER, Mer :/

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah so a few hours ago i went upstairs and picked up my belt and a brown recluse crawled over my hand...
i squished the little bugger but i thought i was ganna faint or throw up.... i think i almost pissed my panties.....

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I don't want to scare you more than you probably already are, but my husband almost lost his leg to one. Call a pest control service and see what they can do for you even if you have to stay in a hotel until they are finished.
I have heard that they are dangerous bites, I would C R A P if I saw one, I thought they were one of the worst kinds to be biten by

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JESSIEnKITTY

yeah so a few hours ago i went upstairs and picked up my belt and a brown recluse crawled over my hand...
i squished the little bugger but i thought i was ganna faint or throw up.... i think i almost pissed my panties.....
You gotta be ready for the little buggers at all times....I swear I'm going spider crazy....I keep feeling things crawling on me, but then theres nothing there!

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ewww I really feel for you. I wouldn't be able to stay in that house. I am TERRIFIED of ALL bugs, especially spiders. I'm always the first to spot a bug.
If someone else is in the house with me I keep my eye on it and scream for someone to kill it. I am a big wuss. Sometimes I am by myself and I know if I don't get it or keep my eye on it, it will end up in my room. I kid you not, I will spend an entire hour trying to build up courage to kill it. I am afraid it will get me!! I swear they smell my fear and always end up in my room!! Now I am all itchy and paranoid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I've really started thinking about it...I can't figure out how they are getting in. We live in a brick house with concrete foundation. I looked around today and it seems that all the holes where pipes or cables or what not run into the walls are pretty well plugged up. There must be a hole somewhere right?

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rachelh1018

I kid you not, I will spend an entire hour trying to build up courage to kill it. I am afraid it will get me!!
same...it takes me forever to get up the courage to kill it. my worst fear is that i'ts going to get ON me somehow. i found what helps for me is to kill it quick, before i get the chance to get worked up. as soon as i see it, i try not to let myself think-i just grab something to smush it with, and kill it.

the really ridiculous thing is i can't even go near it once it's dead. after i kill it, i leave it where it is, with the paper towel/magazine/whatever i used to kill it, right there, and have my bf dispose of it when i get home. and i always tell him when he picks it up, "don't get it near me". i'm that scared of them.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL I did the same thing a few weeks ago but it was the hose
but I did almost tinkle in my pants.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to have taranculas, scorpions, and huge snakes where I used to live,
( wait one minute) now I'm itching all over
If they even looked like they were coming my way I would scream like a mad person, If I thought something was on me, oh man I would come out of my clothes, we had basset hounds and they we laying on the outside deck one evening right by the slideing door and a tarancula was standing on one of the dogs, I almost died. My hubby went and got the broom and beat that thing till there were legs everywhere, Oh just the thought. You could actually be driving down the road and see them crossing ahead I mean way ahead they were huge.. Ok I'm done going to shower now yuk

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh Oh !!!! are they in certin states or all over, I hope and pray I don't see any
If one touched my hand I probably would have oh I don't know came unglued I guess,

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

We used to have taranculas, scorpions, and huge snakes where I used to live,
( wait one minute) now I'm itching all over
If they even looked like they were coming my way I would scream like a mad person, If I thought something was on me, oh man I would come out of my clothes, we had basset hounds and they we laying on the outside deck one evening right by the slideing door and a tarancula was standing on one of the dogs, I almost died. My hubby went and got the broom and beat that thing till there were legs everywhere, Oh just the thought. You could actually be driving down the road and see them crossing ahead I mean way ahead they were huge.. Ok I'm done going to shower now yuk
Where did you used to live so I know not to ever go there?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh please be careful hunnny! Brown recluse bites are no fun at all, i'm sure you're hubby's miserable from his. I've been bitten 3 times...and have 3 "battle wounds" from them. Those are some of the most painful things....i'm so glad to hear he went and had his bite checked out by the doctor. I hope he's getting some relief from it...Hot compresses and meds were about the only thing that made me feel minutely better, a nice soak in the bathtub helps too, just make sure your husband keeps his arm in the warm water. You and your hubby are in my thoughts today. Also some pest companies will do a free estimate and home inspection...i'd call around- not everyone sprays for spiders...and there are some you can't spray for, i'm not sure about brown recluses but it's worth looking into. Good luck! Also, just incase he has a further complication from the bite, it's a good idea to take a sharpie and draw a circle around the area of the bite...that way if it the area around it starts to get red, you will notice that the problem is spreading....i had to go to the doc a few times with my second bite because the rash it caused kept spreading. Also it may be necessary for the doctors to lance the boil it will cause if it doesn't drain the poison on it's own withing a while...ask your doctor to get their opinion, but i thought it was worth mentioning. I hope this helps.

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep thats me as well

We dont get any poisonous ones in the Uk, we are pretty lucky really.

Those spideys sound awful, i would be a nervous wreck if i had them in the house

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 1:11 am, now I wish the heck I haden't done this but I went and looked online at those spiders OMG I will never go to sleep now, what a creepy lot, I usually don't dream but I may have nightmares now
Really isn't even funny
alrighty then going to bed ( hope I can sleep)