Brown Discharge In Pregnant Cat!

Roseysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my cat Rosey is pregnant and I'm not sure how far along she is, nor could the vet determine how many days she was. But she is definitely close to her due date by looking at how big she is and the fact that she is displaying nesting behavior. My only issue is that she is secreting small amounts of brown/pink thick mucus like discharge. I took her to the ER yesterday and after an x-ray the vet said there was a a deceased fetus that most likely just didn't developed because it's quite smaller compared to the other 3 that are most likely alive (only 1 heart beat was detected in ultrasound but x-ray shows 3 well mineralized babies). Yesterday the dead fetus was is in a side ways position blocking the uterine exit and the dr said to wait it out and if nothing happens then she needs a c-section. I cannot afford that and the brown discharge is a very on-off ordeal. She does not however show any signs of pain or discomfort, except when the onset of the discharge begins, she lets out one big yell and that's that. But she continues to eat, drink and sleep. Discharge doesn't small bad, just smells like bodily fluids. This has been happening for 2 days now and the discharge has been released about 3 times in small amounts. PLEASE HELP IM SO WORRIED.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roseysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are there any techniques I can follow where it might help her kittens move the dead fetus out of the way? Running her belly in a certain way? She's not at all distressed or straining to push yet. How long can this early stage of labor last? I'm sorry This is her first litter and I've never experience cat birth.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some such discharges are common in a normal pregnancy.

But what to do and interpret with one dead foetus I dont know.

I know it often ends ok but I cant give no statistics nor insure you.

Its obviously touchy,
Take her temp every day so you notice changes.
You can measure in armpit of foreleg. Its less invasive and less stressing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roseysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much that gave me some peace of mind. The discharge isn't my biggest concern, what I'm mostly concerned about is if the discharge is due to her having complications. The vet said some cats can begin the earlier stages of labor within a week before actual delivery of kittens but I'm just so worried that the deceased fetus is still in the way of the live ones.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont think its a real problem. They doesnt crawl out when its their turn, its momma whom pushes them out when its their turn.