Brought pregnant stray into basement, what to do?

Russianmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had a friendly stray coming around outside for about a month. I have zero experience with pregnant cats, she looked sort of big but I wasn't sure whether she was pregnant or not. Well, just today I noticed some yellowish discharge near her vagina...thought it was an infection at first, but after doing some research and based on the size of her belly, I'm now thinking it's more likely a mucus plug, so I wound up luring her into the basement in case she's about to give birth. Anything I need to know aside from the basics of food, water and shelter? The whole thing has me kind of nervous, because she's not vaccinated and has never been to the vet as far as I know. I have indoor vetted cats in the house, and am concerned about germs, fleas, ticks, etc crawling up into the house under the basement door or something.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She can be wormed while pregnant, and you can also apply flea prevention to the back of her neck (Advantage II or Frontline). She can be vaccinated after the kittens wean.

Have you set up a couple of cozy nests for her? Is it warm enough in your basement?

It’s very kind of you to take her in. With her being separated from your cats, it’s unlikely any germs will travel upstairs. Many strays are quite healthy, especially if they were previously owned.

Does she seem young, as though this might be her first litter? Since she’s likely losing her mucus plug, she’ll be due soon, so do check on her frequently.

Do keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, you dont need to be too concerned about the safety at this moment. Especielly as your residents are full vaccinated, and she seems healthy.
Its of course wise you keep her separated and quarantinned. "The guarded is protected by God" as the proverb says...
Also, if she isnt already friendly with your cats, having her separated from them makes her more relaxed. She doesnt need more stresses at this moment...

Worms and gems doesnt travel across closed doors. But if you DO worry, change clothes in between, and wash your hands before you pet your residents.
As she is in the cellar, and residents are upstairs, its easily organized for you. This is of course double guarding, but if you easens your mind, do so.

Does she let you handle her? Anyway, if you are kind and friendly, the chance is big she will anyways let you assist her if it becomes necessary.
If she is so far too shy to let you handle her
contend yourself to ensure her food, water, litter
come down and speak often to her in a friendly voice. Friendly sounds are important in cat language.

You can for example, sit down near her and read aloud some.

You can yawn and strech yourself standing on all fours... In cat language its what they do to greet friends.

Dont look into her eyes, look a little aside. but you can try with slowly blinking looking in her direction (looking at her shoulder)

When she is alone, you can put on some calming, relaxing music. Do NOT put radio with human voices. You may talk yourself, but not radio.

And prepare for the birth and care of small kittens as well you can... There are lotsa of articles and treads on this.