Brought in 4 feral kittens looking for advice

splasha1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Feral that adopted me took months of work to where I could even touch her while outside eating. Turned out she was pregnant and had 6 kittens along side an AC unit 3 homes down. I made the home owners aware and we all fed her & worked at socializing until mom eventually carried 5 of them (one died 2nd day) to live on the side of my home. At 8 weeks I got lucky and adopted out 2 of the boys to a young couple & at 14 weeks I trapped mom & the other two (another had died hiding under neighbors car backing out of his driveway during a storm) and had the 3 of them fixed. The vet called, knowing I was allergic to cats, and asked if I would give the kittens to another client that had one cat, and so after meeting those people at the vet office the next day, came home with just mom who turned out to be only 1 1/2 yrs. old herself. Last week the first adopted out boys were brought over for a visit. Mom seems to be totally enjoying her new indoor life of leisure and although there was a short & delayed greeting with her kittens after they were let out of the carrier here, they paid little attention to her; she roamed away into her room, and they ran about playing with toys of hers they found for about the hour they were here. Obviously I was lucky to get the 4 kittens adapted out in pairs. I could never have kept them all inside due to allergies and after dealing with the one that was car killed could not think about that happening again. Funny thing here is Mom has turned into the kitten, whom while she was outside rarely played with things, now she is either sprawled out sleeping on the carpet someplace or running about playing with everything that is fair game. You have probably saved at least one of their lives by keeping them inside.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wijody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for your stories. 

Pisces, the one and only response I got, it wasn't just that he was so young.  He was a 20-ish guy and when I looked at his facebook, there was just selfie after selfie of him, lol, I can't describe it without being mean, but he seemed to be quite full of himself, lol :)  It's not that I wanted to just discount him based on first impressions, so I sent him to fill out an application through a local cat rescue place that has helped me (they said I could send people to their site to use their application and they'd forward them to me).  Never heard from him after that. 

If I can figure out which two I'd let go, maybe I will try again at the library and see if I can find a home for them.  Since they're fixed, should I ask to be reimbursed for part of that as a way to 'weed out' people who aren't serious more than to recoup the $$?  I don't want to scare away someone good, but also don't want 'impulse shoppers', either. 

Yesterday was the first day the door to their room has been left open.  I'm going to do that now daily so they can start exploring more of the house.  We have a dog, so there were a few pretty comical moments of them getting close to him and then when he went to sit up, they ran away so fast!  This is another issue, though, that I am trying not to worry about and hoping it will work itself out - them and the dog figuring out how to at least ignore each other.  I don't expect them to be friends, but just don't want the house to be chaos.

Even more motivation for me to make sure he (dog) get his walk daily - he's much calmer then!  :)

Lucky for the kittens, he is quite quirky and HATES the floor around the hall where the sunroom (kitty room) is, so he won't chase them into there, so they always have that safe place.  I put stools to block the door just in case and also to give the kittens a sense of security that they can come out to explore, but can always freely run back there to be safe.

Have I mentioned I didn't get any of my summer projects done?  Haha!  But that's probably more of an excuse than anything (painting house=not fun!)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can use the rescue's application, an adoption fee is not out of the question.  Add up your costs and you will recognize why shelters and rescues need to ask for something.

Anyone who has the cats interest at heart will not balk at a fee.  You might show them your receipts and let them know how much money you've saved them!

Trusting your instincts is the best way to go.  You may run across a person who isn't wealthy but who will offer the cats a safe and loving home.  Talking to them about the fee, you may decide to waive all or part of it.  The bottom line, as you know, is finding them a good home.  (And that good home might just be with you!)