Brought a stray/feral cat in and now he won’t leave his carrier

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding this cat for a couple months and realised that he appeared to have an eye infection. I got worried and ended up capturing him and taking him to the vet. He had to get sedated and got a few shots from the vet. I decided to bring him into my home after this, finding out he was healthy. I left the opened carrier in my unused guest bathroom, along with a bed, scratching post, food/water, and a litter box. it’s been about 5-6 hours and he hasn’t left the carrier. I am now supper worried. I am pretty sure he used the bathroom in the carrier as well. The vet advised me to just let him be and allow him to adjust at his own pace. Should I be worried or do anything? or let him be for the time being.

bfmay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful that you have given this sweet stray cat a home. I am new to this site so I'll let others give you their seasoned advice, but I will say that your vet is correct. It takes time, sometimes weeks or more, for a feral/stray to adjust. But he will in his own time. He doesn't have to stay in the carrier, but he'll want to hide somewhere. He feels safe inside the carrier right now. The cat that I just brought inside is hiding under a couch. But mine will come out to eat, and yours will, too. Put the food where he can easily see and smell it. He will probably start using the litter box on his own, but there is help for that, too, on this site. You have come to the right place! Be patient and don't force anything on your new baby. Good luck. Others on this site will have terrific advice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
He's hopefully not sitting in pee in the carrier?

Keep an eye on him, if he's reluctant to use the litterbox you can add some soil so it seems more familiar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
He's hopefully not sitting in pee in the carrier?

Keep an eye on him, if he's reluctant to use the litterbox you can add some soil so it seems more familiar.
he seems to have moved a bit but i can’t be too sure. Im concerned that he won’t leave the carrier and i don’t want to force him out.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have been feeding this cat for a couple months and realised that he appeared to have an eye infection. I got worried and ended up capturing him and taking him to the vet. He had to get sedated and got a few shots from the vet. I decided to bring him into my home after this, finding out he was healthy. I left the opened carrier in my unused guest bathroom, along with a bed, scratching post, food/water, and a litter box. it’s been about 5-6 hours and he hasn’t left the carrier. I am now supper worried. I am pretty sure he used the bathroom in the carrier as well. The vet advised me to just let him be and allow him to adjust at his own pace. Should I be worried or do anything? or let him be for the time being.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking this cat in and giving him medical attention and for giving him a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out his life! :clapcat:

It is normal for him to stay in the carrier since he just return fro the vet and also feeling drowsy after the sedation. Give him some time for medication to wear off and it is also normal for him to stay in the carrier in the Feist few hours or even days as this is is first time being indoors and the sound and sights are all new to him.

It'll take awhile for him to adjust to the new environment. You can help calm him down by leaving some of you clean unwashed non perfumed garments with him so that the can get more used to your scents since you have already been in contact with him. Also you may leave some towels in the carrier to soak top his scents and after a few days if you are able to reach into the carrier to retrieve the towels, take one or two pieces out and just lay it near and around his carrier. This is to help him gain confidence to come out of the carrier as there is familiar scents. Cats go by scents which is very important at this stage.

I think you don't have to worry that much now. Just let him settle down first as going to the vet and being new indoors are also stressing him up.

Go step by step and feel free to ask any questions and there's no such thing as a stupid question. We are all here to help.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: :bunnydance:to TCS
It's nice to meet you,welcome to this wonderful community of like minded cat enthusiasts!

The simple answer is " No,you've nothing to worry about" at this time as others have explained why.

I'm very happy you've taken care of this fellows medical needs and before I chew your ear off I'd like to ask your intentions- are you offering this little darking your heart and home furrrever?

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: :bunnydance:to TCS
It's nice to meet you,welcome to this wonderful community of like minded cat enthusiasts!

The simple answer is " No,you've nothing to worry about" at this time as others have explained why.

I'm very happy you've taken care of this fellows medical needs and before I chew your ear off I'd like to ask your intentions- are you offering this little darking your heart and home furrrever?
I definitely want to offer him a forever home! ideally i would’ve liked him to get more comfortable with me before i took him in but his eye infection worried me a bunch so i ended up just taking him in and to the vet!

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking this cat in and giving him medical attention and for giving him a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out his life! :clapcat:

It is normal for him to stay in the carrier since he just return fro the vet and also feeling drowsy after the sedation. Give him some time for medication to wear off and it is also normal for him to stay in the carrier in the Feist few hours or even days as this is is first time being indoors and the sound and sights are all new to him.

It'll take awhile for him to adjust to the new environment. You can help calm him down by leaving some of you clean unwashed non perfumed garments with him so that the can get more used to your scents since you have already been in contact with him. Also you may leave some towels in the carrier to soak top his scents and after a few days if you are able to reach into the carrier to retrieve the towels, take one or two pieces out and just lay it near and around his carrier. This is to help him gain confidence to come out of the carrier as there is familiar scents. Cats go by scents which is very important at this stage.

I think you don't have to worry that much now. Just let him settle down first as going to the vet and being new indoors are also stressing him up.

Go step by step and feel free to ask any questions and there's no such thing as a stupid question. We are all here to help.
Hii, thank you so much i will definitely leave some clean clothes and towels in there next time i go in!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT---- so shall we begin? What's this boys name?

Your choice of a safe room is PURFECT',small spaces are best for transitioning ferals to indoor living.Can you set something up outside the door ( like a pen?do you have room?) To prevent him from getting lose throughout the house when you go in and out of the bedroom?

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GREAT---- so shall we begin? What's this boys name?

Your choice of a safe room is PURFECT',small spaces are best for transitioning ferals to indoor living.Can you set something up outside the door ( like a pen?do you have room?) To prevent him from getting lose throughout the house when you go in and out of the bedroom?
His name is Snap! He is in our guest bathroom so it gets no traffic other then us feeding/checking on him. I actually went in this morning and he was chilling on the counter and had eaten the food I had left him and used the litter box!

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His name is Snap! He is in our guest bathroom so it gets no traffic other then us feeding/checking on him. I actually went in this morning and he was chilling on the counter and had eaten the food I had left him and used the litter box!
I will definitely look into a pen though!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Love his name!!!And that's a fantastic update- that boy is no feral,glad he's yours now👍

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I will definitely look into a pen though!
I have welded wire
dog pens- they come 36,42 or even 48 in high- I stacked & zip tied a 36 over 42 to make a little vestibule outside my ferals enclosure for escape proofing- you can get as many panels as you like 4,8 or more for as little or big as you need,foldable,easy to store and not expensive

Bought mine on Walmart.com.Walmart.com.... I can't tell you how many times I've used them in training etc

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he was chilling on the counter and had eaten the food I had left him and used the litter box!
This is absolutely fantastic news :vibes::heartshape::gift:
I agree, he's not feral. I'm not sure you need a "stopgap" to keep him from the rest of the house, unless you find that he's a door-darter of sorts and insistent about it before you're ready to let him out.

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is absolutely fantastic news :vibes::heartshape::gift:
I agree, he's not feral. I'm not sure you need a "stopgap" to keep him from the rest of the house, unless you find that he's a door-darter of sorts and insistent about it before you're ready to let him out.
he’s still supper hesitant to move though and hunkered down so i don’t think i’ll have to worry about him dashing out, at least for now. His new spot is the bathtub and he’s been sitting there the majority of the day. I wonder if he’s more active at night or something. I have left him more food and he hasn't eaten it yet. Do you think he’s still just anxious and will get his energy back eventually?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can slowly get down on the floor in there or just outside the door( while he's in the tub I suppose ) since he's not looking to get out and sit for some time ?maybe read aloud softly or talk to him - spend time near him, occasionally looking his way ,close your eyes and slowly open & close them - looking away again

You do want your presence to be calming and comforting,is he using the litter box ,drinking and urinating ?

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can slowly get down on the floor in there or just outside the door( while he's in the tub I suppose ) since he's not looking to get out and sit for some time ?maybe read aloud softly or talk to him - spend time near him, occasionally looking his way ,close your eyes and slowly open & close them - looking away again

You do want your presence to be calming and comforting,is he using the litter box ,drinking and urinating ?
he is using the litter box and urinating, and i don’t entirely know if he’s drinking the water i put in there but i’ve been putting water into his food so i know he’s hydrated

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
he is using the litter box and urinating, and i don’t entirely know if he’s drinking the water i put in there but i’ve been putting water into his food so i know he’s hydrated
It's important thst he drinks,more so than eating- he's urinating well so he must be drinking- keep an eye on the water if you can and keep it away from the food- like a triangle