Brotherly Love...?

omis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I pretty sure that kittens love to play fight, infact, thats what my two boys do all day long!

But, sometimes, they appear to be extremely rough with one another. I may even hear a squill from one of them. -as if he was in pain.

Is this normal? Is there a point in which I should "break up" their game?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will play rough, and occassionally you will hear yips, growls and hisses.

This is fine.

Stop them if there is a lot of noise, rather than something that sounds like a quick "Hey, that hurt! Don't be so rough!" Try throwing a towel over them.

If you see blood (which I hightly doubt you ever will, they sound perfectly normal to me), stop them immediately and seperate them, and don't reintroduce them until you've had a chance to familarise yourself with that process.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One or two hisses or growls are fine- if you are hearing more in one play session I would watch them closely.

If they trade off who is attacking and who is defending then all is well- if it is always one going after the other, then watch them more closely.

If they are friendly after playing all is well. If you are consistently seeing one cat stalk the other, or one is continually hiding then watch them more closely.

In all probability all is well. How old are they? Are both neutered? Do you keep their claws trimmed?

I try and stay out of "animal business" like this, but I do observe them pretty closely to stay aware of what is normal for them so I will notice if things go awry. My three are 10 months old now and they play pretty roughly, but I rarely hear any squealing. If I did I would pull out a lure toy and redirect their attention rather than physically breaking them up, unless as Satai mentioned, there is blood or real fighting.

Real cat fights are pretty noisy, and it is a sound you won't mistake- you'll just know that it is not right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

omis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oooh, thanks, you both.

They both just turned 8 weeks old today.

I'll try what you suggested. ^^

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your kittens are fine omis

At eight weeks old they are just beginning to learn what sounds they are able to make, and they have to practice them all, right?? That's the age when they arch their backs and jump sideways while they play fight- it's adorable. Enjoy every moment of it!!