Brother/Sister - Hubby/Wife

christinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is just an observation that I have recently made. I had a pair of cats that were brother and sister (different litters - same mother). They always behaved like a "couple". They were generally inseperable, except when they had a fight, and then they would sleep in separate rooms. A fight for them was very rarely loud or aggressive, they just seemed to have a difference of opinion (about a toy, or sleeping place).

Now I have two cats that are not brother and sister. These two act like they are brother and sister! They are generally in separate rooms, with two notable exceptions. First, they both really like to be in the same room that I am in, so they will occasionally lie in different parts of one room if I am there. Second, they both appear if there is something of mutual interest, like feeding time, a strange noise, a bird near the window. They growl over everything with each other, from toys, to food, to litter boxes.

So, that is my observation of the strange - the pair that WERE brother and sister were so close that they behaved like a couple and the pair that were NOT RELATED behave like brother and sister.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most all my cats acted that way - treated each other like brother/sister even if they were not related. Charlie was Jack's big brother in 2 days of Jack arriving - he always looked out for his baby brother.

Hopefully this fall or next spring Jack can have that role as a big brother to our new Ocicat boy.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Osiris and Cleopatra II are brother and sister and although they will cuddle together, Cleo is VERY much Imhotep's girlfriend. They are very much in love. Osiris will sometimes chase Cleo and she'll freak out at him. (She has cattitude and can scream pretty loud.)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As soon as Ginger Cookie came home and saw our (only) boy Trent - oh my gosh she has such a kitty-crush on him! She does anything to get his attention, snuggles with him whether he likes it or not (generally not). But when Annie came home (5th cat, 2nd calico), Trent decided that she was OK.
Well, after she grew up a little.
Once she was out of quarantine, healthy and more grown up...well, she's the only girl Trent will play with. He likes her and is pretty protective of her. She's not the snuggling type, which works good for both of them.

But before all of them, it was just Trent and Ophelia and they were definitely brother/sister.