Brother and Sister Timid Rescue Cats

claresoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After my previous baby passed, my partner and I got two rescue cats who are brother and sister. Kiara and Kovu. Kiara is very comfortable now; she comes up to us and nudges her head in our hands and loves pets and cuddles but Kovu is still timid. They tend to come out and play while we are chilling in the lounge but when ever I try to approach Kovu to pet him, he always backs off and runs away. The funny thing is, today, I saw them playing, then Kovu pinned Kiara down then groomed her. I read it means he is showing dominance sooooo I guess he is the dominant one.

Now I am really confused because I thought dominant cats are the ones that do everything first. Kiara is the one that does everything first and Kovu follows, but when they play, or are alone, it seems like Kovu is the boss. I just dont get it..... can anyone explain? I also have a second question, I have done everything I can to slowly approach Kovu to pet him but like I said before he always backs off and runs away. I cant even try the 'pick him up and place him in front of food' move because he doesnt let me touch him. That move worked with Kiara but Im totally stuck with Kovu, any advice anyone?

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have three siblings rescued at three weeks from a feral cat. My boys are my cuddlers. One of the boys does not tolerate strangers and my girl will cuddle on her terms. She is the loner and we have to go to her. She is dominate over all three of the boys. I call her my Enforcer, when the boys do not get their way they send her in to get results. When they were young I had to sit on the floor reading or ignoring them. They had to get curious and come to me. I always had treats sitting on my knees. I could not approch them.
With the ferals, who are now spayed and eartipped I have to sit and they always circle me from behind before deciding to let me touch them.
The best is playing with Da bird while I am sitting and approchable. Mine can be cuddlers, but can still be timid and skidish in certain situations. I accept that they love us, but may never be social butterflies.

laureen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey, ive got a couple of rescue cats over here too, and the one is super timid. She came from a very stressful situation and i think has been traumatized in the past few y vet recommended a pheromone collar. The first month she had it on, i didnt notice any major change. But when i swapped it for a new one this month, all of a sudden she is coming out from under the bed more, letting me pet her from time to time, and is just seeing braver. have you tried one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claresoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm thats interesting. We might look into that! Thanks :)