Brother and sister mating

Antonia94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had kittens in November 2020 and last week the brother and sister were mating (I did try to stop them numerous times) I kept them separate but when they got near each other they went into places out of my reach and mated! She was due to be neutered in 2 weeks but I’m not sure if she’s pregnant or not yet, my question is if she is pregnant can I let her carry on with the pregnancy? I’ve read up loads about inbreed cats and my worry is that the male is deaf would that be classed as a deformity. I obviously don’t want the kitten to be in any pain or suffer but I don’t like the thought of killing her babies

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The female is too young to be pregnant. She's not fully grown yet and the pregnancy will put a lot of strain on her. Since she's not full grown, there is a high risk of the kittens being too large and her needing an emergency c section. That's assuming she even is pregnant. That young, the pregnancy may not even take or be viable.

Really, the best outcome for your females health and well-being is to have her spayed regardless of if she is pregnant or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonia94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The female is too young to be pregnant. She's not fully grown yet and the pregnancy will put a lot of strain on her. Since she's not full grown, there is a high risk of the kittens being too large and her needing an emergency c section. That's assuming she even is pregnant. That young, the pregnancy may not even take or be viable.

Really, the best outcome for your females health and well-being is to have her spayed regardless of if she is pregnant or not.
Thank you for commenting back I’ve read lots of different things but I think your right I’m going to ring the vet on Monday and get her booked back in. Thank you again

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wholeheartedly agree with Kieka Kieka reasons. Also, brother / sister inbreeding can lead to birth defects. You are making the right decision to get the female spayed as soon as possible.

Last edited:

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat had kittens in November 2020 and last week the brother and sister were mating (I did try to stop them numerous times) I kept them separate but when they got near each other they went into places out of my reach and mated! She was due to be neutered in 2 weeks but I’m not sure if she’s pregnant or not yet, my question is if she is pregnant can I let her carry on with the pregnancy? I’ve read up loads about inbreed cats and my worry is that the male is deaf would that be classed as a deformity. I obviously don’t want the kitten to be in any pain or suffer but I don’t like the thought of killing her babies
She's already pregnant. Her brother is reacting to her pregnant kitty hormones. He thinks she's in heat but she's actually pregnant. Also, they aren't mating. He is just mounting her. She won't let him mate with her. Is there any hissing, swatting, or growling going on?

I have heard of brothers and sisters having kittens and they don't have any deformities.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't have the same morals as people do. Spaying her is the kindest thing you can do for her. Get the male neutered at the same time if you can, tom cat behavior is nasty to put it nicely. You will end up with pee all over the house and a cat with BO. It will also keep him from door darting and going missing for months.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree. They honestly are not sad at all if they are spayed while pregnant. They are sore and that's it. They don't mourn. They don't care, after they recover they are 100% back to normal. So don't worry about that at all. :) She will be just fine if spayed and it would be the kindest thing to do for her as its far too high risk to let her have babies given her age.

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with others that spaying her now is absolutely the kindest thing to do. Aside from the incest, cats giving birth that young greatly increases the risk that the mother and/or the babies will die in the process.

There is also a high chance of deformities in the kittens. I have an inbred cat, rescued from a hoarding situation, and she was born with a deformed leg that had to be amputated, crooked front legs that will likely become painful as she gets older, a misshapen nose that sometimes makes breathing difficult, and possibly other internal issues we haven't discovered yet. I absolutely adore her, but I wouldn't wish her issues on any other cat. If you spay now, you'll save your cat and the potential kittens from a lot of pain.

In the meantime, if your cats are still mating, keep them completely separate, on the off chance she isn't yet pregnant. Keep them in separate rooms, with a door closed between them, and no chance of getting to each other.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 2 weeks after mating, the embryos will have only just implanted (this can take up to 10 days) and have not really started developing yet. They're still microscopic. So while the idea of a spay/abort seems sad, the embryos will not suffer and there will be no extra complications for the mama cat. So this is far more humane than risking their suffering if they inherit abnormalities from being inbred. And also more humane than them being unwanted/homeless, which happens to far too many cats and kittens :(.