Bronchitis - steroids

SiberianCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since January my FIV+ senior cat started to cough, one month he was treated for pneumonia but then they said it's actually bronchitis. So since February he's on prednicortone, first week he was on 5mg 2 times a day, next week 5mg once a day, then 2,5mg and finally 2,5mg every other day. He was fine on higher dose, but every other day isn't working for him.
Is really that bad to give him 2,5mg every day? I know systemic steroids are bad but I don't see other choice.
I tried with inhaler too but he just won't accept it and stress from inhaler made him cough even more (he was feral cat till October last year).

I vacuum daily, no perfumes, candles or other scented things (even laundry detergents), I use pellets for his toilet, he eats high quality, no grain canned food (all meat, no fillers). I tried adding lysine, probiotic, colostrum, medical mushrooms, but no improvement.

Any idea what else can I do? Are there any other treatment for bronchitis?

Must add, his cough is very wet, like he has much mucous in his lounges. Also he's sneezing and when he shakes his head, water drops gets everywhere around him.
When he's on higher dose of medicine, he gets aggressive (biting).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet, explain and see what they suggest. Sometimes the relief they get outweighs the side effects of long-term prednisone. I found a much easier way to give an inhaler to a cat, but it does involve putting them in a box or carrier. I use it when they get really bad. Put them in the box or the carrier that is covered completely with a blanket. Spray the required puffs from the inhaler under the blanket right through the mesh door into the carrier and replace the blanket quickly, or lift a small corner of the box and quickly spray in the inhaler, lowering the box. This keeps the inhaler spray in close proximity to the cat, they have to breathe it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SiberianCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried putting him in the carrier but he went absolutely crazy so this is also no go.
Vet suggested taking steroids every day. She also said all that pollen right now can make his simptoms worse.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a daily antihistamine? That might help decrease inflammation from pollen and other allergens.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you can give human allergy meds such as Claritan, etc. to cats for allergies. Call your vet and ask what dose. Hide it in a piece of cheese or a soft treat.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried putting him in the carrier but he went absolutely crazy so this is also no go.
Vet suggested taking steroids every day. She also said all that pollen right now can make his simptoms worse.
My trick is keeping the carrier in my closet. Make the apt for when she's sleeping like 2pm. Pick her up,shut the door. Even my 7pd cat needs a large carrier so she can't grab the sides

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SiberianCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't think of antihistamines, will ask my vet. Thank you!

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't think of antihistamines, will ask my vet. Thank you!
My cat Sonny had severe allergic alopecia, to the point he lost all his fur. I know not the same thing, but he had to be on low dose daily steroid (prednisolone 1mg a day) and 2mg of benadryl for the remainder of his life. It honestly was the only thing that worked. We tried weaning off one, the other, and both - no go! Stick to your guns, you're the cat mama and you know them best. ❤