Broken Pelvis...

2hndsful

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI!
My poor baby was hit by a car and now has a broken pelvis. He has been on cage rest for a bit over a week. I have a few questions that I can't get answered. Any help would be wonderful!
1. I try to turn him over on to his good side but he rolls back over on to his injured side, is this ok?
2. Only pooped once since leaving the vet. Pees daily. Should I call the vet?
3. What should I expect to see? will he show signs of healing?
The Emergency Vet has not given me a call and clarified all that happened to him. He had a couple inches of tail removed also. I just want to make sure I am helping my poor baby heal! Thanks for any suggestions!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that this has happened to your poor kitty. You took him to the ER? That was the right thing to do. Most ER vets refer you back to your own vet or to another local vet for follow up care. It is not really surprising that he is not following up with you, although he should be willing to discuss whatever he did so that you can proceed from there.

Ask for the name of a local vet who can help you, if you don't have one of your own. If you do, call your vet and update them on what happened. The ER should have released him with paperwork explaining what was done or they can fax it to another vet.

As for generally answering your questions, peeing is essential, so it is good that he is peeing. Pooping may be dependent on what he has eaten; however, if there are injuries which are affecting that part of his body, you need to be informed about that. If he is eating well and not pooping, there could be an issue.

I can't advise you on movement of an injured cat or determine why he rolls back to the injured side. You definitely should see signs of healing if he has been treated properly.

Fracture of the Pelvis in Cats
Broken Pelvis in Cats - Cat-World

These articles may help you to know what to ask the vet. Definitely involve a non ER vet who can see your cat through this.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that whichever position he wants to lay in that is OK. If he doesn't show ANY signs of movement at all, you might still try to move him a little bit to prevent sores, or get him a thick foam pad to lay on. (better) How much has he eaten, if not much then you might call the vet and see if they would prescribe to give him 1/4 tsp. Miralax in a beaten egg yolk or a small amount of lickable treat. Many cats begin ton try to stand in about a week, and can do so as tolerated. After 4 weeks they will try to walk a ways adn shoudl be given short periods of exercise, but NO jumping!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2hndsful

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say that whichever position he wants to lay in that is OK. If he doesn't show ANY signs of movement at all, you might still try to move him a little bit to prevent sores, or get him a thick foam pad to lay on. (better) How much has he eaten, if not much then you might call the vet and see if they would prescribe to give him 1/4 tsp. Miralax in a beaten egg yolk or a small amount of lickable treat. Many cats begin ton try to stand in about a week, and can do so as tolerated. After 4 weeks they will try to walk a ways adn shoudl be given short periods of exercise, but NO jumping!
Thank you! I put a foam egg crate bed topper in his cage. The twin made enough for 3 liners! I was hoping it would be comfortable for him. He tried to stand up this morning and cried out. Probably since he had been on the sore leg awhile. Gave him his meds and will turn him in a bit. He did a great job rolling over last night, nice and slow without crying out. I will contact his Vet for advise on treating him for constipation! Thank you for your time and advice!

2hndsful

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He pooped yesterday!!!!YA! Today he is very talkative and looks great. I will follow up with his regular vet soon! He rolls over on his own. So I am hoping he is on the mend! Thank You for asking! I was very stressed and felt so bad for him!

2hndsful

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He pooped yesterday!!!! He is very alert and talkative today!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! ANY improvement is good news, I pray he is on the road to recovery. You are SO lucky to have him with you, the road is such a dangerous place. May the good news continue!