Broken Hip

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and JJ is gaining weight on a daily basis. He is a pig kitty....that thinks he is a lion.....

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

He does love you
.........!! I talk about you and about xocats to him... I tell him you guys are his special friends so keep on smiling.
I really think he understand things....
I am sitting here, all smiles again! Thank you Jenn - you and JJ are just wonderful.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

and JJ is gaining weight on a daily basis. He is a pig kitty....that thinks he is a lion.....
He is a lion - a lion trapped in a kitty's body!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
JJ has an amazing spirit.

From the day JJ came to you with his broken hip...
your photos & descriptions of his unique personality & his challenging climb toward health,
have caused people from all over to fall in love with your special boy.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JJ has a wonderful spirit! He has always [as far as I know] been a cat who never had a home and no one to love him and getting both of those things has changed his personality majorly. What I can see happening right now is he is the growing protection of me and hubby. Never had a cat like that.

He has started guarding the bedroom doorway at night to keep the "bad dogs" out of the room. Hey lays in the doorway to guard us.. I have NEVER heard of anything like that before.

I honestly think if a dog or a person attacked me, he would jump in the middle of it to help me. I am serious.

But going from being a stray to guarding people that he loves has astounded me. And he really is actually guarding. He is a little sweetheart... and it makes me feel good too that he has so many people loving him and rooting him on because he has never had that before....

I can't take a picture of him today because I took my camera to work yesterday so I could go see my grandbaby at lunch and I forgot my darn camera. Shoot.......!

But I'll post some new pics tomorrow... He is getting pretty chunky. Tommorrow when I am off, I am thinking of taking him outside for a bit and letting him hop around in the yard. His wound is closed and the vet says it is ok but I'm not turning him loose outside. But I will take him out and sit with him for a bit so he can check things out...

This morning he has things on his mind. He is walking around twitching his tail..

I read a true account once of a blind cat who jumped on a burgler when he broke into his house while his owner was asleep. I think that would be JJ. He is the three legged wonder kitty.

He already outweighs every cat I have and most are a little overweight anyway but JJ is just now his right size. He is not fat but his bones are finally covered by a little flesh. When he went to the vet the last time, the scales were broken so I am not sure what he weighs but his is probably in the neighborhood of 15-18 lbs. And still lean.. Not lean like skinny but still slender. He is a solid chuck. But not overweight.

Remember me telling all that when I first saw him last year when we moved to Missouri, he weighed approx 25 lbs. He was very large at that time and a very good hunter. I think if he weighed 20 lbs, that would be a good weight for him. He would be solid but not fat. I think that is where he will probably stabalize when he quits catching up... This is the first time since he showed up with the broken leg that he is started gaining his weight back. He was skin and bones when he showed up. You could feel every rib and his hip bones jutted out. He is healthy now. When he first went to the vet on his initial appointment he weighed 10 lbs and the vet described him as being a very lean cat.. I guess that was nice way to say "skinny"..... When he had surgery he weighed 12 lbs... Since the surgery he is filling out again and looks great..

This was the top of his head when he first showed up...... I'll never forget it. This was about an hr after I brought him in the house. He is a different kitty now.. Unrecognizable as the same cat. A total transformation.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is good news! Well done both of you! Give some extra kisses to JJ for me Jenn, and thank you for keeping us updated on your lion.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful story JJ has. I'm so happy he has found this forever home with you and your family.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
JJ looks so skinny in the above picture.

just look at him now.

I'll be looking forward to more pictures.

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow.

I just read this entire thread, and I so wish I could have found this site earlier so I could have been here for the whole ordeal and rooted for JJ with the rest, but I just want to say, Jenn, you are an amazing and wonderful person to care for so many animals, especially poor JJ! I hope someday I will get the chance to help an animal in need, however stressful and scary it might be. This story is incredible and inspiring. and, just to get it out of my system..

GO JJ GO!!

coastal1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just joined up here tonight and I read your story about JJ. It made me cry... I am so thankful that there are wonderufl people like you in this world who care enough about the little critters to give them this kind of love and care that they deserve

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PawPrinter and Beccory, welcome to the cat site!
This is a wonderful place!! I have found so much support here and advice for many kitty traumas I have had. You will really enjoy this site. And thanks for reading about JJ. He is a great cat! And the more people who read about JJ, the more the word can get spead that they are organizations who will help you when you desperately need something for your animal. Stray or stray stray. Most folks would have put JJ to sleep but his quality of life now is so much better since his surgery. I am so thinkful that I have him. We have both helped each other... I was a little bitter about mankind in general before I started caring for JJ and now I must admit with all that has happened, my confidence in the world has increased. And I think I am a better person now because of it. That sounds like a cliche I know but I am serious.

Here's today's picture of him. He is snuggling one of the kittens... He looks so much better now than he used to. He is so happy! [when he's not guarding] They are laying in my laundry. I was painting today and when I got home, there were 4 kitties in my basket snoozing... JJ and three babies.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is pretty content Satai. That's true. And thanks for the compliment on JJ!!. He is pretty amazing. He loves babies so darn much. It just blows my mind. And somehow the babies sense that and that he wants to snuggle them and groom them. He is the ultimate daddy fat cat to all young cats. I thought most toms would be agressive to a baby that is not there's but not JJ....

Right now I let his woman cat in, Cow, wormed her and frontlined her and fed her some canned food. Soo JJ is busy keeping the dogs away from her. And her babies are trying to nurse her. It's a circus right now. This is the first time I have seen her in a couple weeks. She has lost weight so I am keeping her in doors tonight and feed her up. It's hard to keep her inside to care for her because she does not like being in the house. But tonight I am going to. She is going with us when we move and she can live in the enclosure. She is getting fixed in a couple weeks.

Nite all.
Jenn

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally found a picture of my kitty, Bonnie (well, Mum's but we got them when I was about 10 or 11!).

He's cuddling Coco, our other cat. Bonnie I guess is a little over 16 now, and Coco is 16 next year. They look pretty good still (apart from the missing leg!).

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful!! It's hard to belive Bonny is 16.. And her stump is exactly like JJ's........ I am already so used to seeing JJ get around on three legs I don't even notice it. When I look at this picture, the missing leg is NOT the first thing I notice. Thanks for sharing this photo.........

I love it!! They look so peaceful. They are sharing a kitty love moment.........

I remember you telling me once, but tell me again. Why did Bonnie have her limb amputated? I can't remember.

I hope JJ's looks that good when it finished healing. Right now it is scabby... but still looking good.

Jenn

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so pleased he is doing well - reminds me that i should really post some new pics on Pebbles thread. I do notice her missing leg, but only cos it is funny the way she walks!! But just 3 months later, she can be incredibly quick - tried to get her in last night and she ran away from me and I could'nt catch up with her!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is such a joy to see these special 3 legged kitties adapting so well.
They are natural smile makers.

JJ

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We need a three legged section so all who need or want to write about their three legged kitties can have one community spot........... For pictures and everything... And I would love to see some update pics on Pebbles. She is adorable...

What is wonderful about the peglegs is that they adapt so well. That is what relieves all the anxiety of the owners. Cats don't care... Humans [most] do not continue their lives as "feeling productive" after losing a limb. Cats do not feel sorry for themselves in any way. They just keep on keeping on........