Broken hand = ouch! Ouch! OUCH!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG Alison....I hope your hands heals ok. I completely sympathize with the broken hand scenario it hurts something fierce. Major for both you and butzie. Feel better soon!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh, that's terrible! I hope your hand heals OK. And thank goodness that your friend will be paying the medical bills. Kudos to her.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope we have an update soon that you're doing better!
Sending lots of vibes that way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your very sweet messages
. I've been going through some "stuff" lately and haven't been up to posting. But, I know I need to stop isolating and so I'm going to try to be more present on the boards as far as posting is concerned (I have been reading and lurking).

As for my hand, I saw an orthopedic surgeon this past Friday. At that appointment, I had a third set of x-rays taken and it was confirmed that I do, indeed, have a scaphoid fracture. I also have a fracture of the second knuckle on my middle finger and a small hairline fracture at the base of my index finger. The knuckle that rests below my index finger is also broken, but, unfortunately, there's not much that the doctors can do for the smaller breaks. In time, they will heal on their own.

However, the scaphoid/navicular fracture is more serious. There is a nerve that runs through that area and, as such, I am having some nerve pain associated with the break. It's also a bone that has some issues with blood supply and so there are additional risks with having a scaphoid fracture. Thus, I have been put in a cast. Thankfully, it is fiberglass and is lighter and can breathe, but it's uncomfortable nonetheless. It cannot be removed and cannot get dirty or wet. And, let's just say that it's difficult to work with. But, hey, I got to pick the color and I went for royal purple

The cast is a thumb spica cast (meaning it encases my thumb) that runs from my hand down to the middle of my forearm. I have use of my fingers, aside from my thumb, but they are painful and I cannot do much other than hold a piece of paper. I will have this cast on until my next ortho appointment on December 3rd. At that point, new x-rays will be taken. And, depending on how the bone is healing, there are three options: (1) surgery, (2) an additional 3-4 weeks in a new fiberglass cast, or (3) placement in an air-cast for 4-6 weeks. It will all depend on how quickly I heal.

I am able to work, but it is very difficult. However, I am doing my best and getting by. Things at home are harder as well, but the kitties and the dogs are good nurses (although they all seem to think my cast is their new toy
). I'm still in a great deal of pain, but the pain meds are helping some and I am managing. My new mantra is "it is what it is." I don't love this situation as it is, but I can't change it. Instead, I'm trying to be grateful. Not everyone can receive the excellent care I am receiving. And, not everyone has an understanding (well, as understanding as they can be) job. And, most importantly, not everyone has people who care about them and ask how they're doing on a regular basis. For all of that, I am blessed.

So, that's where I've been. I do really appreciate all of your care and concern. I'm okay -- there's just been a lot happening in addition to my broken wrist/hand. But, I'm back and I promise to make it a point to stick around and post as much as I am able to. Thank you all again!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww sweetie, sounds like you have your plate full right now
That positive attitude will definitely be helpful while you heal though- keep your chin up hun!
Sending lots of vibes that way that you can avoid surgery and heal up on your own!!