Broken/Damaged Whiskers

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have noticed for about a month or so that my orange tabbies whiskers are either broken or damaged on one side of his face. He has around 3 of the long ones left and the shorter ones are still there, just 3 or 4 of the long ones are broken leaving behind around a half inch or less of the normal length. The other side of his face looks normal. He is a year old now and does have a buddy that he plays with that is also his age. They both play rough (boys will be boys) and I think there might be some occasional grooming done between them.

I guess what I would like to know is if it is okay that this is happening, and what could be causing it? Too rough of play time maybe? Do whiskers grow back? The other cats whiskers are fine and look wonderful. Just wondering why only one cats whiskers are damaged or broken off. The both eat the same diet but my tabby is on prednisolone 5mg every other day for his granuloma on his back legs. Could the medication be causing the broken whiskers. Does anyone here think I should have him seen by a vet, or is this normal to have happen?

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know for sure if its normal but my orange tabby has the same problem except his look like when you burn a hair with fire. He might have gotten burn for his birthday when I put a candle on his cake but I don't know if it had happened before that. I look at his face every day when he comes to wake me up but hadn't really noticed. He also has a sister and they like to play rough too.