broken claw

violetdivasf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Charcoal, has a broken black claw. It is broken to the quick. It bled at one point, but has stopped. Although she is not limping and she will let me touch it, it won't pull away easily. Should I leave it? Should I remove it? Should she go to the vet? It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but it is unsightly. I look at and slurch. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Mary
Oakland, CA

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The last thing you want is for a loose piece to snag on something and pull further down into the quick, causing more pain and bleeding.

If there is loose piece hanging off the side or end, take a pair of human nail clippers and cut the hanging piece off, CLOSE TO the break, but do not cut the actual nail any shorter. If you make the hanging piece shorter, it's less likely to catch on anything. Try to do this when the kitty is sleeping. It makes things easier.

Otherwise, if there's nothing that can be safely removed, just try to make sure the broken nail stays as clean as possible, and watch it for infection or further damage. Either one of these indicates a possible trip to the vet or groomer.

Cats naturally shed the outer sheaths of their claws, and having a good scratching surface can help them remove this outer growth, and keep their claws healthy.

I hope this helps.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a vet tech clip one of my kitten's claws on her back feet so short that there was nearly nothing to stick out of the end of the toe. Surprisingly they did heal ok. Her feet were sore and a bit sensitive for a few days.

After trimming the broken bit of the claw off, simply make sure the claw stays clean and that your cat doesn't tear the quick open again. It should look near normal in 2 to 3 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

violetdivasf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. Charcoal was able to remove the broken nail herself in the night. She is fine and the nail looks better already. I will keep an eye on it.