Brody- A new vet and hopefully a new outlook

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just catching up on this thread, Tanya. That vet sounds like a real , and I'd definitely tell your friend that you were extremely disappointed in the vet's manner. I really hope it hasn't "finished" Brody with vets.

We had a dog with dry eye, and he'd occasionally get ulceration from it, which was treated with salve. He stopped having trouble once we started using vet-recommended artificial tears on him every day. I don't remember the brand name, but the drops were made especially for people with glass eyes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I'm just catching up on this thread, Tanya. That vet sounds like a real , and I'd definitely tell your friend that you were extremely disappointed in the vet's manner. I really hope it hasn't "finished" Brody with vets.

We had a dog with dry eye, and he'd occasionally get ulceration from it, which was treated with salve. He stopped having trouble once we started using vet-recommended artificial tears on him every day. I don't remember the brand name, but the drops were made especially for people with glass eyes.
Thanks for that info, Tricia. I will ask about that. I feel bad because I didn't notice anything was going on with his eye. I mean, he is blind in that eye and it is blue and cloudy all the time. It gets a little runny... But I thought it was just because of the injury he sustained before coming to us.
I have made some phone calls and received a recommendation of a vet from an old Frenchie group that I contacted back when I first found Brody. I am hoping to have an appointment for him and Dori in the next couple of weeks.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tanya, I'm sorry I didn't read through this thread earlier - was kind of spending all my time reading about Jenn's little Charlie

I think that the whole vet situation is disgusting, and one that should be followed up with either a letter of complaint to the vet (well, certainly that) and pending the outcome and their explanation (if one is forthcoming) a note to the American Veterinary Association. Nothing may come of it, but it will be noted and will be placed on this vet's record. He needs an opportunity to explain and apologise to you first, and I think that you should put something in writing. If nothing else, it may make him think twice about treating another patient in such a fashion.

I am offended by the whole experience, start to finish (including the microchip issue - which, whilst you can see their point, was handled very badly). I hope that Brody doesn't have any problems in the future from this, and that you find a lovely vet on your next try.

Our vets are fantastic, but it took a few years to get one we are happy with. I've never had problems like yours with this vet, but often vets seem quite dry and clinical to me - and not at all like animal lovers, which is not a prerequisite to become a vet, but it is certainly a pre-requisite for me to become their client! Chris (who is French and soo gorgeous!) actually showed us the inside of Chester's ears with his telescopey thing last time, to show us the difference between infection and a healthy ear, gets us to help, hold them, look after them, and so forth. As does Drew, his colleague, who surreptitiously feeds them treats behind his back when he knows we're looking
and gives them a friendly whack on the head or bum when he's finished. Our guys LOVE going to the vet, seriously - and IMO they should ALL be like that.

Certainly, I hope now that you have calmed down, that you do write to them and express your extreme dissatisfaction - and don't leave it too late, either.

Also, just FYI, Sentinel is a worming treatment that is safe to give to dogs with heartworm - you may want to ask your next (good) vet about it when you go. And please keep us posted!

You have done the most wonderful job with Brody - nobody could fault how much care, love and attention you have given him, and the happy home he now has. Particularly since you were not a dog person to begin with. It's not fair that this piece of work made you feel so inadequate and victimised, and that he upset Brody so much.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i missed your update on the vet when it happened... may i just join everyone else in saying what a jerk!
good luck finding a competent & professional vet to help your sweet boy!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

did not go well at all
The vet was horrible... A friend highly recommended him, and I am not sure what happened, but the exam was terrible. It didn't start out all bad. The tech was very friendly and pet Brody a bit. I was telling them the whole story about how he came to us, and his medical background since we have had them. The first thing they did was scan him for a microchip. Now, I understand them doing that, but it was the way they talked to me while they did it. They said that I must understand them double checking because just yesterday they had someone who 'found' a pet a year ago and said they had him scanned, but when they scanned him they found that he had a microchip and felt the person had stolen the dog. She said "we need to make sure your not up to something like that before we get going with the exam".
It just rubbed me the wrong way.
Then the doctor comes in and doesn't even pet Brody or do anything to put him at ease. He immediately jabbed his shots into him. They wouldn't let me near the table while they did it and poor Brody was fighting like crazy. He has NEVER behaved that way at the vet!
The then doctor grabbed his ear (it wasn't very gently). I tried to tell them that he can't do it that way because Brody has a thing with his ears, but it was too late. Brody went crazy. I have never seen him that way before. He was snarling and growling and foaming at the mouth. I tried to go over there, but again they asked me to step away. The vet then talked about how mean Brody is, and that it is because he has French Bulldog in him. I told him that wasn't the case, that Brody isn't mean at all. He said "Well, that just means you have never made him do anything before." Excuse me?
Anyway, the exam was pretty much over then because he wouldn't even try to calm Brody down to continue on. I told him let's not do the blood work and other tests today, that I would call them later to schedule.
Brody will NOT be going back there.
It was just terrible.

OMG!!!!! What a piece of you know what!!!!!!!!! Jeez!
As you can tell, I just caught up with this thread

THAT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!
poor little Brody!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I have made some phone calls and received a recommendation of a vet from an old Frenchie group that I contacted back when I first found Brody. I am hoping to have an appointment for him and Dori in the next couple of weeks.
That sounds really hopeful Tanya...
be sure to let us know when the appointment is so we can send vibes your way.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

That sounds really hopeful Tanya...
be sure to let us know when the appointment is so we can send vibes your way.
Yes, please do let us know. I so wish for Brody a vet for life that he can trust and relax with. I soooooo have fallen in love with that face (I know, I keep saying that, but it's true!)