Broadband vs DSL vs Internet from cable TV provider

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Frankly, I think once you get above a couple Megs, the extra speed is just overkill.

Mom, I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect to you personally, I'm sure you're filled with zeal for your product, but honestly, I've SEEN telephone company hardware, and when you say DSL runs "over the same equipment as your telephone service" I find that kind of scary. I know what kind of antiquated junk is behind those faded green panels, because I've stood behind the service repairman watching, and listening to him tell me about it. We had a tremendous windstorm here about 10 years ago which took out many trees along with power, telephone and cable. The cable company was out in the streets the next day long before they were cleaned up and before the day was out had all new fiber optic strung. Before the power came back and the telephone service came back online.
Just a couple of points in response. Not arguing your points, just clarifying your points:

For high speed overkill - it all depends on what you do from your home. Both DH and I work in IT and often work from home. We wouldn't be able to do it without that speed. And DH runs a web site from home where he frequently uploads large volumes of data. There are days when our speed isn't fast enough.

Antique phone equipment - Absolutely there are portions of that infrastructure that is old. If you live in a rural area, you can bet they are running you on old equipment. But the cable infrastucture was build to deliver TV, not broadband services, so their equipment has been repurposed. And if you live in a rural area, you probably don't have cable service because they won't bother building out there.

Time to restore service - all bets are off with disaster outages. Telephone companies have huge footprints in service areas, where cable providers have a smaller area to cover. Cable companies for the most part have buried cable, where phone companies lines are often overhead and more easily affected by disasters. When a huge area goes out, there's simply an exponentially larger area and more equipment to fix.

My zeal isn't because I work for a phone company. I've lived in rural and semi-rural areas for the last 17 years where cable isn't offered which ticks me off that I don't even have that option. And I've seen how both industries have grown since the onset of broadband services, with the disparate FCC policies applied to them. Even if didn't work in the industry, I would side with a company who is the underdog in the fight. The FCC has stacked the deck against phone companies.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

The FCC has stacked the deck against phone companies.
That's probably payback for years of monopolistic arrogance before the break-up. That being said, I think the country has NOT been well-served by the break-up. Monopolies are the best way of delivering service in some cases.

I guess the DSL vs. cable choice is one of those YMMV issues.

There's a new technologically for delivering digital content called multipoint something-or-other. Are you familiar with that and what are your thoughts on it? Could it be used to deliver both digital video and broadband internet?