British shorthair cat 67 days pregnant help

binky123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! My beautiful British shorthair is 66/67 days pregnant (planned) and she is huge! I am so excited and nervous all wrapped in one, I have set up birthing box etc the dogs are shut away etc. I was expecting kittens by now.... She was scanned with 4 possibly 5 kittens..... Apart from sleeping a lot and grooming herself a lot she shows no real symptoms, she has been lying on my cold bathroom floor tonight which is unusual and had a very loose poo a while ago (sorry tmi)....... Advice please, does anyone have any experience with BSH??

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if British Shorthairs are any different than any other cats, but most have a lot in common. 

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles, and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

Cat Pregnancy
How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?
Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth
Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!
Premature Kittens
Post-Birth Complications in Cats

Another one of our advisors, @StefanZ, knows a lot about purebreds, so I'm sure he will tell you if there are any special things you need to know specific to British Shorthairs.

catmamac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read the can go upto 70 days so maybe she's just going a bit longer ? Hope she has them soon it cant be nice being huge x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

binky123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read that too [emoji]128532[/emoji] I do hope she has them soon I worry that it will be more difficult the bigger they get, I have also read a few things about them lying on cold surfaces just before labour so here's hoping.......

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi all! My beautiful British shorthair is 66/67 days pregnant (planned) and she is huge! I am so excited and nervous all wrapped in one, I have set up birthing box etc the dogs are shut away etc. I was expecting kittens by now.... She was scanned with 4 possibly 5 kittens..... Apart from sleeping a lot and grooming herself a lot she shows no real symptoms, she has been lying on my cold bathroom floor tonight which is unusual and had a very loose poo a while ago (sorry tmi)....... Advice please, does anyone have any experience with BSH??
Rare poo is common the last day.  Its way of nature to empty the bowels, so the delivery wont be as messy...  So its nearing, and I think you can calmly wait and see.   Also, cats usually manage a little too long pregs well, better than humans.  Its the opposite, early deliveries which they kittens dont manage well.

Rub her tummy if she so wants!

Good luck!

binky123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh that's great! Thank you! Fingers crossed! So exciting, she seems to of gone off her food too, normally a real piggy lol, she hasn't eaten for 12 hours

binky123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she has had me up all night, she is restless and keeps nesting, she has also been rubbing herself against me putting, she seems to want lots attention bless her, I will help in any way so if it's a tummy rub she wants that's what she shall have! So I guess this is stage one of labour? I hope this journey isn't too painful for her x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she is definitely in pre-labor at least, and surely uncomfortable. Nice that you are keeping her company. Many cats want their trusted human with them for comfort during birthing. Are her sides rippling? When you see this she is having contractions. Let us know how it goes! :)

binky123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has just lost her mucas plug but is not having any physical contractions that I can see, she is starting to meow a little..... Is there a rough guide to how long they go after loosing mucas plug?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not really. If she is meowing she is probably having some contractions. She could deliver tonight or tomorrow though. It can go quick or slow. Some cats take 8 hours to have 4 kittens, while others (like mine) deliver 4 kittens in 3 hours. What you want to watch for is if she is pushing for too long without delivering a kitten and appears distressed. But most cats have normal deliveries. It's just good to have your vet's number handy in case. Anyway, your cat is certainly sounding like she's in labor. Be patient and stay calm for her sake. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And I was speaking of hours in terms of once she starts delivering. The contractions leading to hard labor can go quick or last a few hours also. You may be up all night! Make coffee! :)

binky123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya thanks for you response she has just started contractions... Her meows have got much lower too, I breed horses so am used to the ordeals of labour lol so I can stay nice and calm for her [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aha! Then you do have experience! :)

Well, I hope she has an easy time of it, but sounds like she's already working hard. Give us the update when the kittens come. Shouldn't be too much longer now.

catmamac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww my cat went into labour at 7am this morning 2 babies so far, how's your girl doing

binky123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww congratulations! Her contractions are very strong now, I guess it won't be long.....

binky123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have four chunky active kittens [emoji]128151[/emoji][emoji]128151[/emoji][emoji]128151[/emoji]

Mum and babies doing good they were born quite quickly together over 1 1/2 hours, just waiting for mum to chew umbilical cords now xx

binky123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is doing fab, putting away quite happily, my only concern are the umbilical cords.... I have to cut them as she had no interest at all in chewing them, I used dental floss, tied a knot closer to placenta than kitten then cut between knot and placenta, a v small amount of blood had come out, the cord was white when I did it, is thus ok? Will the dental floss fall off on own??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nice work binky123 binky123 on the cords! It should fall off as the area heals over the next week, or mom will lick it off during cleanings. If not, you can gently remove it eventually.

Oh, say! Congratulations on your four healthy newborns! It went pretty quickly for your girl then, huh? That's great! A classic, textbook labor and delivery. Have you slept yet? ;)

Pictures please of your brood when you get the chance. Glad that mom is well too! :)