Britcom Suggestions?

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister got me onto this, I swear, I'm turning into an anglophile
!

The only Britcoms we have access to are the once a week offerings by my local Public Televison Station of Keeping up Appearances (Love it!), As Time Goes By (my fave, Judy Dench is great!) Fawlty Towers (the jury's out
,) Are You Being Served (I've only seen a couple of these, but found them amusing,) The Vicar of Dibley (haven't seen this one,) and Yes, Minister (ditto.)

I've been thinking of perhaps subscribing to one of the online rental services (Blockbuster does it I've found, and so far everything I've queried has come up in their database,) and maybe renting a few DVDs of Britcoms, but never having SEEN most of them LOL, I would dearly love some recommendations of what's good, and what perhaps to totally avoid so I won't waste too much time.

So, What are "must see" in the Britcoms (Black Adder is at the top of our list BTW
...)?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I got the Vicar of Dibley on tape and it was hilarious. Makes me want to go up and view them again.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fresh Fields, Brittas Empire, Are You Being Served and Red Dwarf are all my favs

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ADORE The Office (which now has an American Version), I've also heard Black Adder is good as well as Father Ted, though I haven't seen either.

Altough it is not a Britcom it is British Foyle's War is the best thing EVAR.

Well, it's very good at the least.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looove "Are You Being Served" - esp. when Mrs. Slocum mentions her pussy.

Wanted more of the "Vicar Of Dibley" than what we got.
Have you seen "Last of the Summer Wine" (I think that's the title. Hasn't been on in a while.)
And you can't forget the one and only Hyacinth "Boo-kay". "Keeping Up Appearances".

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course Black Adder is a classic..I used to love watching "Allo Allo" as well.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of those you mentioned are a blast! Really fine stuff. "As Time Goes By" and "The Vicar of Dibley" are my faves out of that lot. A few more to keep your eyes peeled for are "To the Manor Born", "Good Neighbours", "Waiting for God", "Mr Bean". Really excellent. They know how to do it, those Brits!

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Black Adder is one of my all time favourites, we have the DVD box. The Office is also great. No one's mentioned Jeeves and Wooster yet.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black Adder is a MUST though don't worry about the 4th series, that one sucked. The best of them was the 2nd series. Red Dwarf.... you SO have to have that one!! It's hilarious (that and you can get to see just what an imaginitive Brit can come up with using a yoghurt pot, a couple of ping-pong balls and the sticky-backed-plastic! Thankyou Blue Peter)

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adore Absolutely Fabulous.

On DVD, I have: Ab Fab, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, and Vicar of Dibley. I also plan to get Father Ted, and a few of the others mentioned upthread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! Great suggestions! I'll make a list
! Always nice to have first-hand info.

We don't watch much TV, and in fact do not have cable or satellite at all, however we can pick up the local PBS channel decently well with an indoor antenna. But they only show the Britcoms on Saturday night and quite late (for "normal" folks anyway, we're usually in bed by 9pm.) However we do rent DVDs a couple of times a month and thought this would be a good way to see some of the other offerings along with episodes that we've missed of the ones that we do get here.

The clincher was when the DH discovered that they (Blockbuster online) also have some anime' that he's been wanting to see but unable to locate

Our tastes are nothing if not eclectic

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your library carry DVDs?

If you like As Time Goes By then try to get A Fine Romance. It is a Judi Dench comedy from the early 1980's.

Originally Posted by rosiemac

I still watch all of those repeats even now along with One foot in the Grave and Ab fab
I remember watching One Foot In The Grace years ago on PBS. I have not been able to find it on video or DVD. It was hillarious!
I remember the episode where their old car got stolen with the plant in the back.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely LOVE Father Ted, and The Royle Family, blue though it may be. Ex-hub and I are both a bit fond of Britcoms, but he got all the PAL DVD's in the divorce

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Yes, Ab Fab and Red Dwarf are well worth watching! As is Keeping Up Appearances (not that i'm biased - I went to the same school as Patricia Routledge!)
Red Dwarf is really funny sometimes. I used to get a kick out of Kryten and his different modes.
I haven't seen that show in ages though. Keeping Up Appearances and Are You Being served are good too.

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you liked Last of the Summer Wine then you may also like The Darling Buds of May, nice gentle comedy/drama set in the fifties countryside with the future Mrs Michael Douglas.

For slapstick comedy, how about the Carry On films?

Have to agree on Blackadder and Red Dwarf too, two of my favourite comedies.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

Red Dwarf is really funny sometimes. I used to get a kick out of Kryten and his different modes.
I haven't seen that show in ages though.
Yeah, I totally loved Cat too - he was just too funny!

Although, as I mentioned in the unusual people you fancy, I did admit that I LOVED Craig Charles....Lister....
(don't ask!)