Bringing the Outside In?

sirkgnik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am new here and was researching how to help a feral I have, and this group kept popping up in the search and seems like just what I am looking for!!

I presently have a 10 year old feral in my basement. He became injured so I trapped him. He had to have one paw declawed because all of his toes were broken. He also has FIV and is fighting an upper respiratory. Obviously he cannot be released again. We built him a room in the basement and have turned it into a nice little area for him, but he is miserable. What can I put in there to bring a bit of the outside in? Sadly there is not really any sunlight so I am looking into some sort of sun lamp. Are there any types of grasses, small trees, etc. that are OK for cats that would grow in those conditions?
Any suggestions for certains types of things for him to play with?? I do have a radio playing.

I can already tell I have made some mistakes from reading these forums (making eye contact for one), so I am going to start from scratch and leave him alone for the most part for a few days. I hope it is not too late to start over. I have had him for about 3 months.

THANKS!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
?? Do you own your own home, and does the basement have a window??

If so, consider building an outdoor enclosure - using a window cat door where he can can go outside.

We have adopted a stray - who brought his feral born "wife" and 2 kittens with him. When I took him to the Vet, he tested FIV. After about 2 years, we now have all four inside full time.

My husband built an outside enclosure on our patio, and we installed a cat door in the window. There was a small learning curve for the cats learning how to operate the door - but - they now have access to the out-of-doors, and I think they're really happy about that.

I really think he needs the sunshine - so, if there's something you can do to let him get some sun rays, I think that might help him with the respiratory issue???

I don't know how much he's socialized - but could you get a halter on him, and take him for walks?

I'm afraid I can't help much - only to add that the fact that you've had him for 10 years is something to give you a lot of credit for - so, don't beat yourself up for what you didn't know - I, too, have regrets because I lacked knowledge and this has been a huge learning curve for us - you've done the best with what you knew - and that's all anyone could ask.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site
and how wonderful for this cat that you have taken him off the streets and are getting him the medical attention he so desperately needed. Could you fit one of those cat tree/ furniture scratching posts in that room. Some vertical space would be much appreciated for him. Even some shelving installed on the walls would be a start. Some people have used shelves attached on the walls at different heights and the cats can jump from shelf to shelf. Also add a plug in Feliway diffuser or use the Feliway spray every twelve hours, this will help him to feel more safe and comfortable. Give him a couple of hideaways like those nylon tents from Walmart.

Don't worry you have still made progress in the three months you have had him, he is learning to trust you. You can sit in his room and read quietly, play soft music during the day. You can look at him, but look away and blink slowly when he looks at you, also keep your head low. When he starts to look away, you can glance at him, but look down again when he returns the look. I will face sideways so i am never looking directly straight on at the cat, at least in the beginning. Leave some of your worn or slept in t-shirts in his room on his beds or in the tents so he associates your scent with safety. As he starts to feel more comfy, you can start interactive play sessions with him using a wand feather toy. But at first just have it spark his interest by dragging it on the floor. You will know you are making progress when he starts to look at the toy and even move towards it instead of looking at you. If possible, make an outside enclosure for him to spend some time in that each day if weather is nice. You can transport him to and from the enclosure in a crate. I usually leave a small cat crate in the ferals room with a bed in it and spritz Feliway. They usually love to sleep and hide in that crate. Then you just close the door if you have to take them out of their room. Leave the crate in the enclosure, he should easily go back in that crate when it is time to come in.

Down the road, and I know others have done this, you might consider adopting another FIV positive cat as a companion. There is such a need for homes for FIV kitties at shelters. Just a thought. Best of luck and keep updating

Oh,
for help with the URI, you can give 500 mg. of L-Lysine ( you can get this at the vitamin stores, on-line from NOW in powder form, or a pharmacy. Give the 500mg. (1/4 tsp) For ten days and if he is better go to 250 mg.(1/8 tsp) Daily. Just mix it in wet food. All cats seem fine with eating it this way and it doesn't taste bad at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sirkgnik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not had him for 10 years. Just about 3 months. The vet estimates he is about 10. He is very aggressive so no way could I harness him LOL

My husband is a bit upset we had to build a room for him so I do not thinkhe would be too happy about an outdoor enclosure right at this point, plus I have to think of a way to make a tunnel of sorts to go from the basement, through the garage to the outside.

If I had a ton of money I would build him his own house, but sadly . .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sirkgnik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I was thinking that the next unadoptable cat that comes my way may end up being his companion. He has tons of shelves and scratching slopes, and little cubbies to sleep in. I am definately at some point going to try and convince the husband to build an outdoor enclosure, but this cat was the one that broke the camels back so to speak. This is the fourth unadoptable I have had to keep and there are quite a few coming and going, so I need to give him time to recover LOL

I am definately starting over with the advice about not looking at him, etc. I was going in the complete opposite direction. Hope I did not do too much damage!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AW Bless your heart
for all of the rescues you have taken on. And I do get what you mean by giving the hubby time to recover
. It really sounds like you have made his room quite cozy with lots of climbing options, that is really good.
. You could also pick up some of the kitty grass that Petco or Petsmart has. He would love that. I do know of another rescuer that has brought in very large/heavy tall and thick branches from outside and put them in her feral's rooms. But I would make sure they don't have any bugs in them first. I guess she would first hose them off real good in her driveway, and than take a bleach solution and pour it all over the branches and let that sit for ten minutes and then hose it off and let it completely air dry for a couple of days in her garage before bringing them in. Her two completely fierce older ferals she brought in, whom she could never socialize, just LOVE these branches and scratch them, climb them, chew on them and it is like bringing the outdoors inside. I think that is sooooooo cool
that she thought of that.

I don't think you have done any damage at all with your developing relationship with this cat by looking at him. He already knows you are a friend after three months. It just takes so long and with his age being 10, he may never fully socialize at all. I think it is just fantastic that you don't care about that, you just want him to have a happy, indoor, safe life. That is the reward, and anything more he ever offers you is a bonus!!!!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats in our country seem to love this kind of tree, don't know english term, but it is tree that has died and dried without falling down, so it has soft grey surface which is easy to climb, of course if poor cat will never have all claws it might be difficult for him to climb so maybe installing one to vertical as a shelf and have small ladders for climbing up?

From divancat.com:

From http://luonto.v-smol.fi/naantali/

Grass that mine eat is normal grass growing on yard, especially longer ones they seem to like best, but I don't know how well you can grow any grass indoors without loads of lights and also heat unless getting LED bulbs which are great btw.