Bringing Stud to Queen

allycatsiamese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I co-own a stud that does not live with me. He is the private stud of our cattery. I was wondering if anyone has experience with bringing a stud to a queen, instead of taking her to him.

I have the room to bring him here temporarily, and to keep him away from the queens I do not want pregnant at this time. Bringing him here would make it easier on myself, but I'm not sure how to go about it, or what complications might occur.

If spraying is the only complication, he has lived in two homes since adulthood (the current owner's and the breeder's we purchased him from) and has never sprayed. Because of this, I'm thinking he's unlikely to spray, no matter where he is?

All of the literature I've read says the queen should be taken to the stud. Why?

Thank you very much for your help and opinions!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try - it depends on the personality of the stud and how quickly he adjusts to a new "room". Most times its not recommended because the stud has established his own territory and is more relaxed and not apt to be spraying all over to "remark" territory. Its his place.

If he doesn't mind going to other houses, then it could work out. Be prepared for him to mark all over the room he is in and you may need to house him for weeks till he's settled in and ready to breed your girl.

Biggest problem is your girl will be in heat and want to breed and the male will not be ready!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boys are sent to girls all the time. I've brought in boys to breed my girls and sent out my boys in the past without any trouble. The last boy I brought in spent all of 16 hours at my home before moving on to another engagement--no issues at all with getting girls pregnant!

I would think that the literature suggests the girls go to the boys mainly because of the many challenges involved with handling and housing an intact male. It is a lot easier to house a queen for an extended period of time than a male if long distances are involved. However, if the male is over for just a short visit and can easily be brought back if the pregnancy is unsuccessful, I can't see why it would be an issue.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We ourselves always received the ladies in our home.

But the breeder of our older boy, she used to lend home the studs she needed. And she has a nose to find unknown studs. Ie - studs with very little experience or young. Often unexperienced and young...
And luckily, she had good success with it. Both with the mating itself and the results.

She always gave them some time in their room, typically about 24 hours, to land and feel safe in their room... After it they did met.

Once the unexperinced male didnt knew what was supposed to happen, so it took time, several days before something real began to happen... But there did come a litter of beautiful kittens of it anyway....

So it can be tried.

Another case where it may be natural for the stud to come is if he is experienced and sure of himself.

If the stud is a little unsure, you can of course try with Feliway. It should also lessen the risk of spraying.

Feliway wasnt so wellknown several years ago, so we were forced to manage without.
- Our boys werent sprayers, but in some circumstances they could piss when stressed, especielly the older one - which is the main reason he was retired.