Bringing a Feral/Stray Cat Indoors

shannonlovespet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You all are wonderful for taking care of the start/feral cats. I still can't get Manny in but he will hopefully one day come in. If I ever move I will def get somehow. Even if he attacks me I'll grab. I think he may have been left behind when someone moved. Disgusts me!! Sox sounds so happy. So happy for you! Thanks for everyone's support and advice.

catrina7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi...i find it helpful to read about the experiances others have with ferral cats....my 6 year old once ferral has been my indoor kitty for a year now, and i was concerned because z still watches me intensley to the [point iiiii need to hide....and at least half the time z doesnt let me touch him, and if i move fast, or even make a noise with my feet as i follow where he leads me with his "catch" (pretend bird or insect at the end of a fishing pole toy) he stops short, and lays low for a minute or so,  once its all clear, z continues on his hunting "run"....i just read it can take 3 years to win a ferrals trust once you get them indoors. i have felt yukkii at times because my z doesnt seem  happy indoors, doesnt seem to belong  or feel it fits being inside..mr. .z is a true born hunter for sure !!! anyway, outdoors he simply wouldnt be safe....

problem for my z is that he is angry/very scared but does not act skittish, or run away if im close by, exept when outdoors to take him to the vet my z tries to escape and run away. he is scared enough that if you catch him, he freezes., or if petted, he stiffins up and tremers slightly...z is afraid of being smacked, yelled at, t or even sprayed with warer....when he needs to pass me, he watches me with fear in his eyes as he slowly slinks past me, than once safly away, runs....my z is like an abused child that is too terrifyed to move. this one does seem to hold a grudge...im believing he was mistreated, cruely handled to teach him a lesson... trapped...he already mistrusted humans. i apolozize for this long story...but it must be told if not fot my z, letting people know  that being mean or aggressive , staring down a frightned wild animal is inhumane to say the least. i am soooo grateful for you all who rescue, love, and accept a pet that doesnt puurrr on youre lap everyday...these guys deserve to loved, accepted as is, and be well taken care of....my mr. z is extreemly intelligant to the point that z does not act out....he sits and glares steadily at me with such anger almost all day..... its as if he loaths the "must never trust the always can be dangrous human"...... cant get help for my z,  because like an abused child that acts fine just to keep scary hands off of them....acting out in any way elicits possible human interaction/contact..... i strongly believe this one simply has decided humans are not ever to be trusted...aside from the fact i love him very much, and only think of "throwing him away"...by giving z another maybe better home for him than im providing.....i at times actually feel like a jail warrden keeping him against his will...i love that little smarty so much, he stays, and thats the end of that ! give it another year? you think he may come around still? z is so afraid of hysterical, anxious, angry people...he is a good bloodhound that way lol...... because of my z and his fear of human anger, even if its only sensed, i have learned to not only control external shows of anger, including kicking the chair cuz i stubbed my toe lol.....i am learning to use self control to the point of not feeling so angry my face gets hot lol,,,,at every mishap that crosses my path....thank you mr.z...hope this helps somebody ( :

catrina7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there again folks....

you know, after writting that long fun to write post awhile back, i thought it may be helpful info. for you ferral cat lovers/rescuers to share a few tips....(1)..throw a few treats around youre place (inside) a few times a day...so that youre beloved ferral kitty can "hunt" for hidden treats..... my z acts just like an outside kitty hunting intensly.... my z even hunts when i havent tossed a few around lol.... he must hunt out...finds one hidden....even better because kitty has to really dig and work to get this one! very inspiring for a ferral...(2)...indoors cat calming music  includes birds chirpping natural outdoors for kitty...(.3..).. my z does not cotton to cat toys...the only cat toy mr. z loves 24/7 is the fishing pole toy with a "prey" mostly birds,  at the end of a strong string....make it strong.....these kittys dont play around trying to eat their "catch"...thing is, my z will shy away if i try to pet him, or be affectionate in any way....mr. z simply wants to hunt...and this is all he wants to do....he isnt as scared of touch as much as just doesnt like it, tells me by instead of arching his back at a pet, he arches inwards, or even to the side just to get his body away from touch...goes to the closet (where his feathery friend sits hanging on a string), sits, waits, and wants to hunt period. so try not to feel really yulkkii when kitty dislikes touch. he simply is a hunter at heart....give him a treat, and go hunting together,...z likes his run...jump into the empty tub. out aqgain...to the window....climb the sheet to the window to catch his catch....down to the metal closet...up to the top....catch that bird up there.....jump down, and head for the cat tree in the livingroom....up the cat tree.....down and into the bathroom again for a jump in the emty tub, still chasing, and bringing down his prey....i have to stop when i tire out...and mr. smarty lays on his side, catches his breath, and ready to hunt some more. this one doesnt ever stop because he catches his breath always ready to hunt some mooorrre...this reminds him of planned stragety, and even tho you need to say no, i cant take you hunting now more than 15 times in a day....kitty still enjoys the times you can ( :

merstockgto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We trapped a feral cat in Winter Garden, Fl. July 7, 2011. Sox as we call her had been roaming out neighborhood for over a year. We began to feed her early 2011 as we felt bad for her. I had originally figured she was a male until she had a swollen tummy one day. We had our home up for sale and since she had come to depend on us for her meals we decided to try and trap her. We were successful and as soon as we did trap her we took her to my vet to have the pregnancy aborted as she was ready do drop at any time. We got her examined, fixed and micro chipped. She was so terrified of any human and was just beside herself after we trapped her. We already had 4 indoor kitties (rescues) we got  from the local Petsmart in Orlando in 2006 that get their pets from the local animal shelter. We kept her in a half bath until we moved in Dec 2011 out west. I spent many hours with her in the half bath getting her used to me. She had a condo and all the comforts of a home unlike being born in the wild and being wild. She did very well on the 2600 mile trip and we stopped each night at a motel so the kitties could relax, eat and relieve themselves. We kept Sox in the bathroom at night and every morning she would be in her carrier we put in the tub for her. Now almost 6 yrs later she is a very sweet cat and hangs out with us and talks to us.She does not want us to touch her but when she is not looking I sneak my hand on her and she makes not big deal about  it like she once did. She just moves out of the way. She gets along with our other fur babies. Other than the fact she does not want you to touch her she is like any other kitty. We are fortunate she did not stay afraid of us. She is very happy indoors and has windows and the screen security door to look out at nature. For those that say my cat likes it outside and they will not be happy inside, I say rubbish. We spoil our kitties to death and they are very happy being indoors. It is playing Russian Roulette to let them outside,

catrina7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there...

it is very much interesting how our ferrals fair in the long run! i had been concerned about Zimba my 6 year old mald because aftef a year, he is still ferral, but part time. zimba is affectionanate, but at a distance. i wanted to give feedback and support to those who are new at training ferral kittys how to live content to be inside..

my thing now is support around once ferral kittys from beggining on towards a year...now remembering zimba when i first brought him home. i found a small space in the kitchen plugged up...actually stuffed an old soft blanket into the small space. i came into the kitchen one evening finding zimba squeezed half way into a small space between the dishwasher and wall...i was a bit nervous about any small space zimba could try and make his escape..i didnt want him to hurt himself, but he was so scared it was as if hed kill himself trying to save himself lol

today 1 year later my zimba wont play with cat toys...he is a true hunter at heart, and thats all ge wants to do 24/7 with thr pretend prey at the end of a rod...fishibg pole toy. at first it was upseting that zimba seemed so unhappy, unless we went hunting with ne simply holding tbe rod...he didnt lije that at all. be wiuld try and bite off the prey from the string,and look suspicously at the string. in between pkay sessions, zimba was sad and depressed. he had lots of energy for hunting. very intelligant cat for sure. finally i got him a 4 month old kitten thinking if he couldnt bring himself to trust me, he might a young female kitten. he did, and daisee loves him. they are totally amazing together. zimba tho, still longs for sonething that iv never veen able to figure out yet so i can trg and hear him by doing what it is he wants so bad...his runs he wants non-stop, but i have to eat, and i have other things that keeps me from taking zimba on his runs, in
side.

my words to those who bring in ferral cats, and hope that they will learn to trust humans to the point of a lovable, and affectionate cat. after realizing hey, zimba is ferral in his blood...i need to accept him as special in the ways he is special...both of us are much more relaxed, even tho our kittys dont get over being mistrustful of even his human, there are ways to bond in deep, but not typical way...example is...in the morning when zimba wants to hunt, not be fed, he wont jump on my lap, but gets on the back of my big chair i sleep in, cautiosly goes down to my head, than because he doesnt feel comfterble to get closer, he backs up, and jumps down. now, wd both have a bonding time here. i very softley and higher voice say, "hey zimba, you sneaking again"?.i suppose you want to hunt...i dont reach out to him, or move, zimba is e