breeding...

jonesie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a relatively new breeder of Devon Rex, my heads up to getting into breeding is to be prepared for the potential health issues that can crop up & the heart ache that comes with it.

From my 3 litters of kittens (total of 10 kittens), I lost one to congenital problems and one to FIP. I have also had quite a few issues with upper respiratory infections. Accoring to my vet these are all very common when breeding pure bred cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jonesie

As a relatively new breeder of Devon Rex, my heads up to getting into breeding is to be prepared for the potential health issues that can crop up & the heart ache that comes with it.

From my 3 litters of kittens (total of 10 kittens), I lost one to congenital problems and one to FIP. I have also had quite a few issues with upper respiratory infections. Accoring to my vet these are all very common when breeding pure bred cats.
I would imagine most issues with congenital could be eliminated by making sure the breeding pair were tested and there parents for the common ones of the breed ... FIP is one I wouldnt know how to prevent

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounding good there
My only advise is:

1. Research, research, research and then research some more!
2. Attend as many shows as possible, try to touch base with as many breeders as possible.
3. IMO (and seriously, IMO) stay away from looking at breeding Persians (all divisions except perhaps Tabbies and especially stay away from Bi-Color & Calico division) and Exotics. Not trying to be mean just that these are THE most popular breeds around, seriously good foundation cats are ALWAYS very expensive and breeding these cats can be heartbreaking, not uncommon to find entire litters being PQ even from seriously titled parents.
4. Do give some thought to the rarer breeds. They do need more serious breeders. Personally, if I hadn't fallen in love with Abyssinians, I would be breeding Singapuras (sue me I love agouti cats!
). As it is, if I were to breed LH cats, I would be breeding T Angoras...

It took 2 years of research before I even bought my foundation pair!

Good luck!

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Siberians have a lot of "pet" breeders. I breed Siberians and we are having a huge issue with being a minority breed and having so many breeders that don't show and just breed for the "hypo allergenic" thing which keep in mind isn't guaranteed. Hypo doesn't mean non, means some in latin. Allergies are personal. I breed to further the breed, enhance diversity, know, show and produce good typed kittens for my own program and other programs. Be aware of checking references and the health of your breeders prior to purchase. I wouldn't buy from a breeder who doesn't show ever again. Chances are if they show and you see the cats, you will see health issues. You know feline illnesses, check for them and be aware that there is a lot of work against breeders so not only do you need to be committed to your breed and know it, you have to be committed you are furthering the breed and no other motives. Those with other motives end up accomplishing nothing and once this is realized, you won't be able to get more breeders. Always remember, your breeding came from another breeder who put their lifeblood into thier program and you are producing you and their cats for the future. Don't buy from a newbie is my best advice.
Be aware also lower priced kittens or ones that go to young are a danger signal. If any of the forest cats are in your sites, please contact me.
Thanks
Daisy
Moonandstarkatz Siberians

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome moonandstarkatz! How lovely to see a Sib breeder on the boards! I love your chosen breed - Malaysia has just got it's first ever show neuter recently and she did fairly well at the shows. Any goldens in your cattery?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!!! I have recieved some awesome advice from you guys...still researching though

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Abymummy,

I have a black golden classic torbie and a male with golden on both sides of his pedigree giving him a very warm brown color. My male is a brown mackerel with white. He is medium banding with strong tabby contrast and bred to the golden torbie produced warm brown (both the golden and high ruffousing gene I suspect), red golden, and black torbie and golden torbie kittens.

I am on a waiting list for a golden from Russia as well. My other cats are black solid (Rajjah - female who carries for agouti in classic and mackerel patterns). She doesn't carry white.

Marigold is black golden classic torbie without white.

Armand is the brown mackerel with white who carries spotted, classic, solid and high ruffousing and golden.

Bella is a blue cream tortie smoke without white. She is about to have her first litter so I can't say what her other attributes are other than non color point carrier, genetically solid (tortie), her father is a smoke and mom is a red mackerel. I am curious what she produces. I am getting her niece in March from a good friend, possibly a cream solid in appearance.

Tayga is my up and coming stud now 7 months old, a blue classic tabby carrying for solid and non color point carrier. He is developing green eyes along with Bella. Rajjah has very strong gold eyes and Marigold has copper. Armands are yellow green.

I also have heard from the show alter that came from Matreshka Siberians (Nadia) and this is good success for the Siberian. This is a strong breed but we need to keep everything organized and the type strong to keep progressing. We are a very old breed but new to the registries and signifigantly different than other forest cats albeit misunderstood around much myth and folklore.

Thanks
Daisy

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Daisy,

I should have known that you know Nadia! The cat world is too small and smaller still for breeds like the Sibs.

I am with you on type. I don't know the Sibs standards well enough to comment on your cats but I'm sure that you have the right colors and type to make it all come together with great show success!

I was introduced first to Sibs by Nadia when she brought them into Singapore and yes, the Sibs are very, very much different to the other two forest cats and I'm especially glad that Breeders such as yourself and Nadia are ensuring that the cats remain different.

Nadia knows some of my future plans and she knows that I would be more than pleased to show a cat for her to at least DW status - but like I said, this is all very much in the future. When she and I are ready, there will be a Sib in Masmera....

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Abymummy,
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I don't get over here daily as I just sent my kittens off to their new homes this past week. So now I am without kittens for a month or so. I have 2 litters on the way soon and a new kitten from another breeder here in the states.
I don't know Nadia personally but over the net and through Siberian boards. That would be great in the future if you would show a Siberian. Your breed isn't all that common either but I suppose they are moreso common than the Siberian. We in the Siberian world are small, very small compared to other breeds, but we have the blessing of a large gene pool and some undiscovered lines in Russia (catteries not on the net) as well as Siberia.
Looking forward to seeing the pedigree cat fancy grow and more Siberians in your part of the world. Here in the USA we are about 5000 now in TICA and 1200 or so in CFA so we are growing. When I started in 2005, there were only 3500 in north america so the gene pool is expanding and hopefully ours is a breed to stay for the future to enjoy. These are truly unique cats, different in both looks and personalities from their counterparts and I am blessed to have them.
Daisy