Breeding odd eyes...question

femmynfalkor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I am new to the forum. I have two odd eyed munchkin cats. One is a standard munchkin male named Falkor and the other is a non-standard munchkin female named Femmy. I am wanting to breed them together for one litter. Both cats are long haired white and blue with van-like markings and odd eyes. Falkor has one blue and one copper eye and Femmy has one blue and one green eye. Both are hearing and are mostly white, but with blue markings on ears, head, tale and a spot on their backs of blue.

My understanding is that breeding one standard and one non-standard is good practice. My only concern is whether breeding two odd- eyed cats is of any concern. I got them because I love their odd eyes. What kind of feedback do you have about breeding for odd eyes, or breeding two odd eyed cats together? Thanks for the input.
- Tess

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were they sold to you with breeding rights? You need to talk to your breeder because if they were sold as pets they need to be spayed/neutered, not bred from.

Your breeder is also an excellent resource for the questions you've asked

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those breeders that have a lot of white cats with various eye color combos have no problems breeding odd-eye to odd-eye.

HOWEVER:

1. Are your cats show quality?
2. Do you have breeding rights?
3. How closely related are the cats?

You don't want them inbred and its rare to have 2 odd-eye non white cats, so I suspect these two cats are pretty closely related and therefore should not be bred together.

And what does the Munchkin standard say regarding eye color in blue bicolor cats - if the eye color is only supposed to be gold (which is normal) then you should not even breed these cats for any reason.

I reread your post again - if one cat has a blue and green eye - its not allowed in the standard - odd eye cats are supposed to have one blue and one gold/copper color eye. Sounds to me like you are breeding just to breed as you have no real intentions of having more then one litter because you have "unique" Munchkins.

Would you like to clarify why you even want to breed? Most of the breeders in here are long time breeders who show their cats and improve the breed and don't look too kindly on "backyard" breeders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

femmynfalkor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a bad plan...
I had thought of letting them have one litter, keeping one cat and giving the rest away. They seem so beautiful and special and love each other so much, I didn't see the harm it. I had no intentions on breeding them to make money or more than once. After receiving your input, I realize its a bad and irresponsible plan. Thanks for the input. -Tess

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do agree - pics would be nice. And thanks for changing your mind on the breeding. BTW why did the breeder sell you unaltered kittens?

femmynfalkor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that is a very GOOD question. When I bought them I had assumed that they would be altered as I had done a lot of "shopping around" and it seemed that all breeders altered their kittens first before they leave. I assumed and didn't ask. I think I was happy to find the kitties I had been looking for that I didn't ask all of the right questions.
Anyway, I know I need to get on top of fixing one of them soon before an accident occurs.

I will work on getting pictures as I haven't been on a forum in some time and have to figure the best way to format them.

Thanks again.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are cute, if they're older than 4 months I'd be keeping them apart until you get them fixed.
Remember the male will still be fertile for up to 2 months after neutering so must be kept away until they are both done.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they ARE related, you don't want them to breed. Get them spayed/neutered as quick as you can. If you only can do one at a time do her first because males are still able to get a female pregnant within 2 months of being neutered!

femmynfalkor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. I didn't know that about the males still being fertile after being fixed. I have seperated them and will get her fixed first. Thanks so much for the added info.

femmynfalkor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welp...Femmy and Falkor went in this morning to be fixed. Thank you all for your advice...It was a really bad fleeting thought to let them have a litter for so many reasons. In other news...a shelter cat at petco adopted me the other night. I couldn't help it. Wish me luck on integrating all of them into one happy family. Wish the F's luck as I hope all goes well. (as a child I had a kitty never come to after being spayed)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope things go well all around. The new kitty should be kept in a room by him/herself for awhile (your other two need recovery from the surgery and won't be happy to have newcomer in the house).

When everyone is feeling better, then introduce them slowly to each other. Usually the males will be more accepting then the females. My female took 6 months to tolerate our first Ocicat. The second Ocicat, my female took about a month - so you never know.

We will be getting a 3rd Oci in the spring....who knows HOW long it will take this time around as we have not had a new kitten in the house for 2 yrs!

femmynfalkor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah...I am keeping them seperate. I can sense that it will be quite a process. They are doing some "familiarizing" through the doors. Some growling, some hissing and such. How will I know when is the right time (or how) to go the next step? Is there a sticky thread around here I am missing?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I'd wait about a week before you start the face to face. Give your surgery guys a little time to get past the surgery and feel better.

Since the new one will have his own litter pan, food, and water in the room, you don't have to worry. But when its time, then take the new one out and put him in a carrier in the middle of the room, let your resident guys have about 1/2 hour to either check out the room or the kitten in the carrier. Don't interfer - let them hiss or growl if they choose.

When they same quiet, then let the new one out and supervise them all. Be sure ALL nails are clipped on all kittens before you do the face to face introductions.